Chapter Twenty One

It didn't really feel like falling asleep. It felt more like passing out. The bed wasn't exactly spacious, and we were lying pressed against each other. When I awoke from my stupor in the middle of the day, I felt his arm wrapped around my waist from behind. My back was snuggly pressed against his broad chest. Even if I had had the strength to get up, I wouldn't be able to get away without alarming him. Clever bastard. I fell back into the darkness, my body still weak from the blood loss.

The next time I woke up, I was alone. I slowly sat up; my head wasn't spinning anymore. The silence around me made me nervous. I looked around for my clothes, but they were nowhere to be found. On the wall next to the door hung a bathrobe with the logo of the lounge on it. That would have to do, at least until I found my clothes. I got up a little to fast and almost doubled over. Holding on to the nearest wall I tried to get my balance back. After a few deep breaths I felt steady again and managed to reach the bathrobe.

The door creaked when I opened it. If Dean was anywhere near, now he would know that I left the room. My clothes were lying in a wet heap on the floor next to the shower. Normally that wouldn't be a problem. I would just dry them with my powers, but I still felt very weak. Using my powers again might make me pass out. The car was parked quite a while from the airport. Inside were more clothes of mine but walking there in a bathrobe didn't feel particularly exciting. Where was Dean when you needed him? At least my boots were mostly dry, and I slipped into them.

Nowhere in the lounge was Dean to be found. His absence made me tense. Not because I felt scared without him, but I was worried how he might reappear. Scaring me almost to death probably. I held my breath and strained my ears to notice any small noise. When I didn't hear anything, my mind started to race. Maybe Caine managed to come back. Maybe his followers were hidden inside the airport and had waited for their opportunity to strike. But then why would they only take Dean and how could I not have noticed? I started to freak myself out. Taking big strides through the lounge I headed for the door and tried to open it. I had forgotten that Dean had ripped it from its hinges, and it came crashing down. In the eerie silence it was deafeningly loud.

Once my nerves had calmed down, I stepped over the door into the hallway. My own breathing seemed to loud and so were my steps. A sound behind me made me spin around but there was no one to be seen. But then I felt it. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up and a shiver ran down my spine.

"Why do you always have to scare me?" I asked before turning around.

"What are you doing out her?" Deans tone was sharper than what I had expected. He stood only inches from me, when I turned, I needed to look up to see his face.

"I was looking for you." My answer might not be completely true but also not a complete lie.

"Well, you should've just waited in the lounge. You're in no state to be walking around alone."

I answered before thinking: "And who's fault is that?"

He had me pressed against the wall with his hand on my throat faster than I could think.

"You are alive thanks to me," he growled. "So, you better fucking show me some gratitude and stop bitching around. Understood?"

His grip on my throat got even tighter. All I could do was look up at him with pleading eyes.

"You basically served your purpose now. Give me a good reason why I should still string you along and not just kill you right here."

By now I was struggling for air, feeling dizzy again. I didn't break eye contact with him and bit my lower lip hard enough to draw blood. His grip loosened ever so slightly. Enough for me to draw in some air. I licked over the wound, spreading the blood over my lips. A dark smile appeared on his lips.