Silent Thunder: The Return of the Yellow Light

• Посвящена My extremely supportive fans

Hello again! I just want to say thanks to all my fans! You are so supportive! I'm extremely grateful for everything, the reads, the votes, the comments. You are the best fans any one could have in the world. This chapter is for you.  And only you. Don't let anyone tell you different.

Copyright 2011

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 7

I didn't like it at all. Not one bit. Why sixteen? Whats so special about sixteen? I'm pretty sure not everyone turns into a wolf at sixteen.It's supposed to be sweet. The best day of your life. I had the feeling Kyle wasn't telling me everything. But then again, I wasn't either.

"We better go. That guy from the McDonald incident is staring at us."

I glanced over. In a chair by the counter was Walter. He didn't look as scary, just annoying. He wasn't exactly medium sized. More like he needed to go on America's Biggest Loser. Not that I have anything against that. He was nearly bald, and he was sweating for no apparent reason. Yuck. Had he never heard of deodorant? Not that that would help much, because you can't put deodorant on you head.

He was trying to be sneaky and was glancing at us over the magazine he was holding. He caught my eyes and quickly turned away. Did he recognize me? Or Kyle?

"Yeah, let's go. He's giving me the creeps.", I replied.

Kyle slid out of the booth.

"Let's leave at different times. I'll go first and you can follow in five minutes. If recognizes and follows us, there would be trouble."

I had to admit, he was pretty smart. He waved then walked out of the store. I sat at my seat and laid my head in my hands. It was so hard to take in. So much had happened in a few days. One minute I was with Amy.....Amy! I'd completely forgotten her! I felt like such a rotten friend. Right when she needed me most too. And my mom! I'd left before but never for this long. They must be worried sick. I'd better go see them and let them know I was alright.

Suddenly I heard a screaming from behind the counter. A fry cook was running toward the sink with a red hand. She must have been burned by the oil. It looked serious. Walter stood up and threw down his magazine. He walked up behind her acting like he was going to help. Instead, he slapped her in the face. In front of everybody! Even the customers! I could not believe this man!

"Get back to work! And stop screaming! It hurts my ears!", he yelled.

I've had it with that man. He'd gone to far. Who did he think he was?

I ran towards the counter and vaulted over it, pushing people out of the way. I strode straight up to Walter and slapped him across the face.

"Get back to work. And stop screaming. It hurts my ears.", I quoted with a devilish smile.

Everyone it the store, employees and customers, gasped in unison. Walter stumbled back. Then I bent down to the girl and gently picked up her hand. It was red and peeling. It was swollen so much it looked like a small balloon. Yuck. I had no idea what to do. Why had I done this? I'd just gotten myself into trouble. Again. But I had to put on a brave face and at least act like I knew hat I was doing.

I helped her up and turned on the cold water in the sink. I told her to wait here why I went to go find some gauze or at least a band-aid. Then I felt it. My stomach twisted. Not again.

A warm sensation filled my hand. It tickled a little. A line of yellow, sparkling light stretched from my hand to hers. Now that I looked closer, it was more of a pale cream color. Like my fur. The girls hand shimmered and slowly returned to it's normal color. The swelling was gone. The peeling had stopped and seemed to have disappeared. It was if she had never been hurt in the first place. Her eyes widened in disbelief.

I heard a voice to my left.

"My emergency? Well this fry cook just burnt her hand and then this guy just got slapped by a customer and then there was this yellow light thing everywhere.....just get an ambulance please? and the cops maybe? This customer could go to Juvie or something."

A stuttering adult (with absolutely no sentence structure) was standing there. On the phone. Had they seriously called 911? You had to be kidding me! What a bozo. The rest of the store was silent. I could almost hear those imaginary crickets from the movies. Cricket. Cricket. Cricket.

I had to get out of here. A door miraculously appeared on my left. Employees Only. Oops. I dashed through it, leaving the others in a state of shock.

I've always wanted to see what was behind those "Employees Only" doors. Nothing special really. It was just a storage room with a door to unload things from trucks at the back. I heard a click behind me. Someone had tried to lock me in! I ran through the door at the back before they could close that one too.

The air! The glorious air! I ran through the alleyways, past dumpsters and hobos. I realized this was the same alleys as before. I knew the way to Kyle's shack from here!

Then my leg gave out. It felt numb. Come on you had to be kidding me! Kyle's was just a few blocks away! I stood up and my other leg gave out too. I was grew scared. This wasn't normal. My entire body felt numb and heavy. I just wanted to take a nap. I collapsed onto all fours. I felt something like ants crawling all over my body. Then I realized what was happening. I was turning back into a wolf.

After the initial shock it didn't scare me to much. It just felt...right. The change didn't hurt at all.  I could feel my senses growing sharper. I immediately knew exactly where I was and how long it would take to get to Kyle's shack. I could hear the ambulance coming to McDonalds, even though it was 20 miles away! It was different this time. More....enjoyable. I dashed off towards Kyle's house.

I could feel the wind ripple my fur. It felt great, like a game almost. If I could smile, I would. Suddenly, I heard foot steps in front of me. What the heck? I hadn't heard them before. Had the cops really tracked me down? I flattened myself next to a wall and prayed.

It was Kyle. He took one look at me and almost laughed.

"I leave you alone for a minute and you come back like this? Really? Come on Helen! What happened?!"

His voice was stern but in his eyes you knew he was fighting back laughter. He could make me so aggravated!

"Don't ask, don't tell.", I replied.

Wait. I could talk? As a wolf?! This day could not get any weirder.

Then I remembered that most stores have security cameras. What if they had me on tape? Or Kyle? Or if....worst of all...they had that yellow light? We had to leave.

"We have to go. Now. I'l explain later. Do you know a place where we could stay?", I asked.

Kyle shivered. In the next second he was a wolf. How did he do that so fast? I'm positive mine took longer. It was almost as if he had practice....

He glanced at me, his dark eyes serious and laughing t the same time.

"Not really. But I'm sure we'll find someplace. Who wouldn't want some wolves staying at their house?", he replied.

I chuckled. How could he be so facetious at a time like this?

With that he led me though the maze of alleys to a dark forest. Even with the daytime it was still pitch dark. Casting one last glance behind me at the town I grew up in, I slowly sauntered into the forest. Amy and Mom would have to wait.