Chapter 10- Recovery?

You awoke, but did not open your eyes.

You lay still, trying to figure out your current state.

A lot of light was penetrating your eyelids.

What if you were dead and this was heaven!?

You flinched at the thought, and pain jolted from your chest and head.

So you were not dead.

You heard a hushed voice, speaking to another entity in the room.

You couldn't make out what they were saying... 

Curiosity getting the better of you, you slowly opened your eyes.

It took a moment for your eyes to adjust before you became fully aware of your surroundings.

You couldn't see your body, as it was hidden beneath white linen sheets.

Tilting your head slightly, and ignoring the throbbing of your head, you came to realise you were in your bedchambers.

Adjusting the light more, you spotted three figures.

One was tending to some sort of basin, the other two conferring with each other in the corner by your standing mirror.

"I'm, I'm ok?" you croaked. You would've said something more intellectual, but whatever herbs or medicine you had been given seemed to have restricted your vocabulary.

All three figures looked to you, then by your side.

You craned your neck to where they were looking, and once again you jumped.

Hunter lay slumped half on your bed, his face resting on the quilt whilst his arms stretched out to your hand.

Oh, he was holding your hand.

"Sir?" one of the figures asked, walking over to your bedside and shaking him gently.

They were a scout commander, you saw.

The other two must be medics.

He jolted, whipping his head up.

He wore his mask, though you could see the trail of salty tears down his shirt.

He released his grip on your hand, moving up to your face.

"Oh thank the Titan. How do you feel?" 

"Sore, but surprisingly well rested." you replied, smiling weakly.

One of the medics walked over, inspecting some battered clipboard.

"The stab wound thankfully wasn't infected, and managed to miss your lungs and heart. It struck near your left kidney, and you lost a lot of blood. We removed the organ and stitched you up. You also suffered a severe concussion and your skull was slightly damaged by a shard of glass. Luckily for you, as ironic as that may sound, you'll live. It will take a while to recover and we imagine you may experience some illness due to the absence of one kidney." they said.

Your eyes widened as they talked, and they darted down to where you imagined your kidney was.

"Why, exactly, did you have to remove my kidney?"

"Because the stab wound punctured the flow to it, rendering it useless and most likely to decay and infect you." they sighed.

You squeezed your eyes shut. "Oh shit."

Hunter put his hand on your cheek, seemingly oblivious to the fact there were others in the room.

"Don't do that again." he whispered.