Margaret Hale and John Thornton 15

"...Well, they don't need knowledge at all," someone said.

A derisive laugh dominated the table.

Margaret put her fork on the table and began to speak quietly but clearly.

"I know a boy who waits for his father every day, reading a book in Marlborough."

John, sitting next to her, slowly turned his gaze to his fiancée speaking:

"He couldn't read a few simple words at first, but now he enjoys reading Dickens."

She continued, feeling the cold stare to her.

"I believe anyone can read and do math if they are given the opportunity. They just don't have the environment to learn these subjects for now."

Wanting to change the dull mood, one of the owners talked to John.

"Well? Do you have a plan to build a school or something at the Marlborough, Thornton?"

The owners gave guffaw. John said with a straight face, looking around.

"Yeah, that's a good idea, thank you. If it does, 20% of all workers of mine will be able to read or calculate within ten years."

More silence and awkwardness covered the table. Someone who wanted to end the topic started another one:

"Did I tell you, Watson, about the price of raw cotton in Egypt?"

Sensing that people at the table lost interest in her opinion, Margaret smiled at John, who also looked at her calmly.

Hannah watched the them communicating only through their eyes.