Margaret Hale and John Thornton 12

**

It had been about a month since Margaret returned to Milton. John's mill was almost back to normal operation.

Margaret, walking through the renewed energy of the grounds, entered the communal kitchen at the far end of the grounds and said hello.

Mary Higgins was in the kitchen doing some prep work.

"Miss Hale!"

She stopped washing dishes and looked at Margaret who said:

"Oh, don't mind, Mary. Keep going. I brought some carrots and beans with me. Use them for something."

Putting a large basket on the table she smiled.

 "It smells good. What is it today?"

Mary nodded happily: 

"Rolle, Miss"  

**

Margaret exited the mill gate and began to walk down the street.

"Miss Hale!"

She heard a voice calling her from behind and turned around. A woman was looking at her through the window of the cab with only half her face showing. Margaret looked at that woman's face, murmuring "Fanny." Fanny, John's young sister, gestured to indicate to get in the carriage. 

The two of them sat opposite each other, feeling awkward and uncomfortable. Fanny broke the silence and said:

"I heard the three of you had dinner together the other day...you, John, and Mama."

"...Yes."

Margaret recalled the dinner about ten days ago, which had a strange mood, not a unwelcome one, but with little conversations and somewhat awkward. Hannah Thornton didn't bring up the subject of the first courtship, nor did she condemn Margaret's interaction with the workers. The time passed without a hitch. Margaret thought that might have been Hannah's way of approving.

When Fanny said, "Speaking of dinner," Margaret came to her senses.

"I'm having a dinner party at the Watsons' soon. We're planning it on the same day every year from now on, just like the Thorntons do."

"...Sounds good."

Fanny glanced at Margaret.

 "I've invited you along with John. Come and enjoy it."

Margaret looked up, saying:

 "Me?"

"You're my brother's fiancée, aren't you? Don't be so surprised."

Fanny looked at the left hand of the woman sitting across from her.

"What about a ring? Didn't he buy one for you?"

She snickered casually.