Margaret Hale and John Thornton 7

**

(The next morning, Margaret left the hotel and went to the Thorntons' house.)

She walked along the principal street in Milton.

"Miss Hale!"

She stopped and turned around. A man in a silk hat was scuttling across the street.

"Miss Hale, it's been a while."

She lowers her gaze, wondering if she may have met this man at the Thorntons' party.

"You're inspecting the land that you got recently, aren't you?"

The man laughed speculatively. She said, "No..." and then fell silent.

"Good lord! Mr. Bell has really taken a chance. Life is so unpredictable..."

He looked at her as if he was judging her.

"What are you going to do with Marlborough? Any plans?"

"...I don't know."

Feeling uncomfortable, she said good day and walked away.

**

At Thornton's house next to the cotton mill, Margaret and Hannah were standing in the drawing room on the second floor.

"John's out today." Hannah said.

"...Yes, I know."

Hannah realized that Margaret had come to see her, not John. She moved slowly to the window and saw two observers walking quickly along the cobblestones outside, consulting with each other. A good energy was beginning to build in the field, which had been quiet for a long time.

"At this point," Hannah said, looking out the window,

"It's obvious that John needs you, not me, isn't it?"

"..."

"We couldn't have bought the cotton in cash or set up the operation until yesterday...until you came here. Moreover, I was ready to lose our home."

Margret didn't say a word.

Hannah returned her gaze to Margaret.

"So? Did you come here to make me thank you?"

Margaret shook her head dejectedly and said, "No."

"I'm the one who came to thank you."

" ? "

"Mrs. Thornton, thank you for your kindness in granting my mother's wish."

"..."

Margaret closed the distance between her and Hannah a little.

"I know why my mother asked you to take care of me. Now I understand."

"..."

"My mother was attracted to your strength and your wild textile industry. I think she wanted a toughness that neither she nor her sister had."

Hannah mumbled, "wild..." and giggled.

"I'm grateful, Mrs. Thornton."

Hannah blinked with her usual expression.

Margaret raised her eyes and continued.

"And one more thing...my mother and you have something in common."

"What is it?"

Margaret said in as normal a voice as possible.

"Both of you have one son and one daughter".

Hannah didn't understand and looked at her questioningly.

"You have Mr. Thornton and Fanny. My mother had my brother Fred and me."

"...!..."