Margaret Hale and John Thornton 13

**

That night at Margaret's house. She told John that she met Fanny at noon.

"Did you hear about the Watsons' dinner?"

he said, nodding.

 "Yes, I'm not too keen on it, but I should go. Can you go with me?"

"Sure"

 she nodded with hesitation, encouraging herself there's nothing to be afraid of any more.

After a while she stood up and moved to her desk, saying:

"By the way...I received a letter from Argentina today."

"Argentina." John sat up a little, "from Mr. Bell?"

"Yes." said she,  as she reached for the letter:

"I wrote to him about our engagement and living in Milton soon after I moved here. " 

She handed the letter to him." Here you are."

He received it, asking her with a glance if she didn't mind her letter being read. After her tacit approval, he carefully stretched out the folded pieces of paper.

=======================

Dear Margaret.

Thank you for your letter. I'm glad to know that letters from abroad reach this country safely.

And, Margaret, congratulations on your engagement. I'm thrilled to hear about it sooner than I expected. I really wish I could have congratulated you while I was in England. Tell John that he should have heard me out.

I remember he once told me : "All men are not as free to express what they feel as you are." He seemed to keep all his feelings for you to himself. Now his agony was over. Good for him.

Milton is a wild place, but I am convinced that it is a place where you can spend your rest of life. A few years ago, when the Thorntons asked me to lease that land, I was not sure about it. But when I looked into the eyes of Mrs. Thornton and young John, I said yes. I wonder if you are somewhat like Mrs. Thornton was at that time.

And so, the property I have already given you is yours, and you are free to not get involved in speculative goods. You don't have to report to me at all. But let me say this: As a lifelong bachelor, I can tell you that marriage is the biggest speculation of life!  And John is someone who is worth the risk.

I'm a little tired today. I will write my next letter to let you know how things are going in Argentina.

With all my heart.

Adam

=======================

After reading the  letter, John didn't move for a while. Margaret stared at him.

"What are you thinking of, dear?" 

Hearing her voice, he murmured.

" I wonder how lonely Mr. Bell must be. "

His hand reached out and caressed hers on the table.

"You never become conscious of  your loneliness until you are loved by someone you love. That's exactly what happened to me, Margaret. The more time I spend with you, the more I realize how lonely I'd been. Now I 'm worried about his solitude and..."

Somehow he had an ominous feeling that she would no longer receive letters from Mr. Bell.  John never mentioned it.