x. 𝐈 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐬𝐨𝐜𝐢𝐞𝐭𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐧 𝐰𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐠

"There it is, Angel Oak

"There it is, Angel Oak." Kie looked out the window of the twinkie, sitting across from Sky.

"Oh, shit. Tides coming in." John B spoke up as he looked at the water puddle down the dirt road.

"Wait a second, look." Pope pointed to the tire tracks, "They already came through here. Those have to be Limbrey's tire tracks. Guys, we gotta go."

"What do you think, chief?" JJ looked toward John B.

"I'm thinking it's looking a little dicey." the curly haired boy said back, "Sky? How's your brain rolling?"

"Well, it's rolling, for sure." she looked out of the windows. "It's also a knowing fact that 41% of car accidents happen because of mud."

"Sure, very known fact." JJ hummed.

"Okay, clearly, they made it. No?" Kie suggested.

"In a two-wheel drive? I don't know about that." JJ shook his head, looking out the window.

"Why are y'all acting like you're not gonna do it anyways?" Sarah spoke up from the back, trying to hold back her smile, "Like, when have y'all ever done the safe thing?"

"She's got a point." John B nodded as him and JJ looked to each other.

"Speed is your friend here, okay?" JJ nodded, turning back in his seat.

Skyler stumbled toward, falling into Kie's lap as John B gassed it. "Sorry, Kie!"

"It's cool!" she held onto her as the Twinkie sputtered.

"Cmon, bro, punch it. Speed is your friend." JJ encouraged.

"It's gonna slide." Kie spoke up, holding onto the side of the van with one arm, the other around Sky.

"Not to put any more pressure on you, but if you don't make it through, we'll be stuck here forever." Pope leaned up toward the pair in the front.

The twinkie made it through the mud puddle, gliding easily on the dirt road again. The group sighed in relief, cheering slightly.

"Well, at least we didn't make the mud accidents 42%." Skyler sighed, pulling back from Kie with an exhale. "And alive."

"And alive." Kie nodded her head, JJ pulling the van door open.

"All right, so word to the wise, definitely know that gators nest back here, so keep your eyes peeled, okay?" JJ spoke up, Kie held her hand out for Sky to step over the mud puddle.

"You don't want to be Pat Womack. She had her calf chewed off by a gator, right? You know that, right?" JJ continued on.

"That's actually not true." Kie commented back.

"Pat Womack was injured in a car accident, but I hear you." Sarah shrugged, pushing branches out of the way as they walked in a line after Pope.

"Okay, just living ignorance. But like, she had her calf chewed off by a mama gator. I know that for a fact." JJ hummed, turning to look back at them. "Sky?"