Chapter 21

Andrew's POV

My wolf and I could only see red. When we had followed the ghostly memories of Diane's former self, we had arrived to a scene that I would have never wanted anyone to see... let alone one that I wanted to have happen to my mate. I could only guess at what my mate's supposed father had done to her based on the words he spoke as he knelt on the ground in front of her while his breathe came in heavy pants. The barrier that formed around Diane gave us the perfect opportunity to distract the bastard so that we could save her. Before any of us really knew what was going on, Ivory and myself were moving through the shadows with Diane's ten year old self.

The memory of her mother handed three year old Diane to the memory of the man that Diane's father had once been, before heading out into the center of the main hall because she was going to be the best distraction for us to use against him. Once she had his attention, had him moving toward her instead of standing so close to Diane, we were able to move quickly to Diane's side. I could smell him on Diane, even through the barrier that was apparently made out of blood, his scent was on her... but only on the surface as my gaze found the spots of his seed that had been sprayed on her face and chest. The barrier dropped from around her, Ivory was less than a blur as she undid the chains and separated the cuffs from one another allowing Diane to rip off her blindfold then the gag in her mouth.

The look that she gave me broke my heart. Tears were threatening to well up in her eyes, she clutched the cloak I put around her as if she didn't even want me to see her body... the shame that seemed to roll off of her in waves as she desperately tried to use the hem of the cloak to try and clean her face as best as she could. My wolf and I pulled her as close to us as we could without hurting her, stuck my nose in the crook of her neck and inhaled her scent where it was strongest along the jugular. I couldn't help the rough tone that I had spoken to her in even as I told her that none of this was her fault... it was the witch's fault, and her father's, but I blamed the witch for taking her father away from her because if she hadn't then none of this would have happened.

My theory was confirmed as we listened to the memory orb that Diane's mother was holding for her father to hear. Not only had the witch corrupted her father's mind with magic, but she had also cursed Diane's mother with magic... forcing Diane to defend herself the only way she had grown up to know how to. Killing her own mother by ripping her heart out when the curse laid and poisoned Clarion's mind, body and soul. Death had been her only freedom. Diane lost control of her voice a little as she yelled at her father, but it was the line where she had said 'rape' that had caught both my attention and my wolf's. My body shook with rage like I had never felt before, my wolf and I wanted blood but we didn't want to frighten our mate who was still in a fragile state.

My rage only grew when he had dared to step forward trying to apologize to Diane and then when the witch came bursting through the door... it was just too easy for me to run quickly across the room. The look on the witch's face when she realized that I had thrust my fist into the chest of the man she claimed to love and still held his beating within my hand... it was beyond satisfying to see especially since some of the blood had splattered all over her front side. I didn't glance back at Diane, however, because I didn't want to find a horrified expression on her face. I pulled my arm out of Marcus's torso, his heart still within my hand as he fell forward... catching me by surprise when I see that he has a loving yet sad smile on his face as he tries to keep the memory of his family in sight as the light dies from his eyes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Diane's POV

I watched with wide eyes as Andrew withdrew his arm from my father's torso, my father's heart still in his hand. Blood was splattered all over Wilma's front as she stared in anger and horror at where my father lay fallen, dead and gazing at the memory of how his family used to be... not at the witch that had taken it all away from him. Her scream rang out as she fell to her knees next to his body, using her magic to try and find a way to try to save him even though the light had already left his eyes. Someone chuckled out loud. Everyone looked around trying to find out who had started laughing... until everyone's eyes landed on me. My shoulders shook with laughter as I had a complete lack of restraint from having been mentally, emotionally and physically drained for days.