Training Time

"You're not tired, are you, Haley?" Padma smirked, her cobra circling around her ankles. "Not too much poison in your system?"

"You wish!" Haley fired back. She and the Patil twins were in Sage Canyon, training in a reserve Haley owned. After the Tenrou Team returned, Romeo had talked the reinstated Master Makarov into signing Fairy Tail up for the Grand Magic Games (something Macao was adamant on not doing again after a few lackluster performances). They had three months to get in shape before the event started, so every team had gone to a different training camp. Team Natsu had invited her to come to the beach with them and Team Shadow Gear, but Haley declined in favor of training with her own team. She'd introduced the Patil twins to them, of course, but they still didn't know each other that well and didn't have much in common.

They compromised by promising to meet the other two teams at the beach before heading back to the guild. They were currently on the last week before they would leave the canyon, sparring Haley versus both twins.

"You asked for it!" Padma began to hiss, speaking in Parseltongue. Her cobra moved quickly, nipping at Haley's ankle. She quickly did a complicated step around the snake.

Parvati's eyes shone crystal-blue. Within a second, she foresaw Haley dodging the snake and her follow-up attack against Padma.

"Got you!" she whispered, smirking.

"REQUIP..." Haley lunged at Padma. "WHITE KNIGHT KATANA!"

A blade shining pure white with a gold handle appeared in her hand. Padma shouted another spell in Parseltongue and a protective barrier formed around her.

"Nice try!" Haley said. "But the White Dragon's power always finds its target!"

The sword guided her arm to a weak spot in the shield, piercing it. Parvati struck before she could go further, slashing her side with a four-bladed urumi.

"Did you forget I can see your movements?" Parvati taunted.

"Your Foresight is getting better," Haley agreed. "But not good enough."

She stabbed the katana into the ground. An enormous white magic circle appeared under both twins' feet.

"What?" Padma gasped.

"STIGMATA!" Haley shouted, activating it. Parvati and Padma found they were frozen in place.

"I can't move," Parvati gasped, the urumi falling limp in her hand. Padma hissed frantically, but the circle affected her snake too.

"HOLY OVERHEAD CUT!" In one curved slash of bright light, the Patil twins collapsed.

"I win," Haley said in a deceptively light tone.

"You suck," Parvati whined breathlessly. Haley laughed.

"Here, take these." She tossed a couple of healing potions at them, which they gratefully drank. All the scratches and fatigue from their little fight disappeared. Haley chugged one herself; they fight may have ended in her favor, but her teammates did get some good hits in too.

"We still can't keep up with you," Parvati complained.

"You keep up with me just fine," Haley replied. "You just can't get ahead."

"How modest of you," Padma deadpanned. They glared at each other for a second, then all three girls broke into giggles.

. . .

After a few more days of training, Haley and the Patil twins set off for the beach. Haley was personally excited to see how much Natsu and Erza had improved. They were at a disadvantage, having been in stasis for seven years, but she was certain they'd make up the difference if they'd trained their butts off like she thought they would. If there was one thing those two hated, it was being second-best.