a sequal part 2

Back at it with another little teaser, hehe. As usual, please share your opinion/thoughts/ideas for future chapters.
—-

I place my backpack in my closet before turning on my desktop. As I'm waiting for it to power on, I do a little spin on my desk chair.

It's been three years since we moved but I'm still impressed by my room. I let Danielle design it and she did an awesome job. One side of my room is floor to ceiling windows that overlook New York. The other three walls in my room are painted a dark, navy blue. My bed sits against one wall and faces my tv from across the room. My desk area is against the wall with my door. I also have a little reading nook with a couch. That's my favorite part.

Once my computer is on, I immediately open up the syllabi for the three classes I'm taking: Language Pedagogy, Neurobiology of Language and Variation in Speech Communication. I'm a linguistics major at Manhattan Community College. My absolute dream is to graduate and work at a publishing house, editing and translating literature.

I read through the course requirements and get started on my first homework assignment. It's the first week of classes and despite being a college student, my professors are still requiring those BS ice breaker activities.

Welcome to Variation in Speech Communication! I am delighted to have you all in my class. For the first week, please post a 5-7 sentence paragraph introducing yourself to the discussion board entitled, "Week 1." Tell us a little about yourself. Please also answer the questions, "Why linguistics?", "What is the last book you read?" and "What do you like to do for fun?" After you have posted, please respond to at least two other classmates' posts. I look forward to working with you all this quarter.

I click through the school's Canvas website to get to the discussion board. I'm unsure of how much detail to go into but 5-7 sentences means the professor wants us to dig a little deeper. I start typing.

My name is Asher Pearson and I was born and raised in NYC. I'm looking forward to this quarter. I chose to major in linguistics because of my love of reading. I enjoy analyzing the construction of language and how different authors use language to create meaning.

The last book I read was The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides. Aside from reading, I enjoy spending time with my family and playing dolls with my little sister.

I know that last line will probably catch some double takes and I smirk at the thought. It's absolutely true though. I love playing dolls with Avy

As if on cue, Avy comes busting through my door.

"Can we please play dolls now?" she asks. She's holding one doll that looks like Cynthia Pickles from Rugrats and another one that looks like Tyra Banks from Life Size. Of course she holds out the one that looks like Cynthia Pickles for me.

"Of course." I get out of my chair and sit on the carpet in my room. Avy sits across from me and makes her doll walk.

"Do you want to go shopping with me?" she asks, using a voice that's meant for her doll.

"Yes, I would loveee to go shopping with you." I say, putting on my best girl voice. "Where are we going?"

"Just follow me," Avia says. Even as a doll, she likes to be bossy.

My doll follow's Avy's as we go all around my room and into the bathroom.

"Time for a spa," Avy says. She pulls the step stool out from under the sink. I keep it in here just for her. She loves to brush her teeth with me before bed.

"Does your doll want to go for a cold swim or a hot swim?"

"Cold," I say. Avy pulls the plunger for the sink then cranks the cold water up all the way.