Epilogue

Okay, I know I'm gonna get a lot of hate for this but I think this is where this story ends! Quite honestly, I wanted to end the book with Derek moving in after the storm. Added a bit more since this story was getting so much traction. But I have nothing more to add to the story besides the fact that the lived happily ever after. This was always meant to be quick story, hehe.

Thank you all so much for reading and commenting. Here is a little epilogue to tie up Asher's story.
——

"I'm so ready to welcome him home," Danielle says, frantically moving about the kitchen. "He's gonna be here any minute."

"I know," Derek responds. He admires the work the two have done. There are streamers and balloons decorating the entire downstairs of their home. A large banner with the words "Welcome Home Asher"  hangs above the entry way.

"Do you think I made enough chicken?" Danielle asks as she pulls a second pan of roasted chicken out of the oven. "I know Asher really liked this chicken."

"You made more than enough baby." Derek steps into the kitchen and helps Danielle arrange the food. "Everything is great my love. He's gonna love it." He pulls Danielle in close before kissing her forehead.

"If you say so," Danielle says with a sigh. "I just want everything to be per—

The door bell rings, cutting off Danielle.

"He's here," she says.

"Come on," Derek says, grabbing her hand. The two open the front door to find Asher. He looks just as they remember, but even healthier. He's put on a few pounds and his face is no longer sunken in. He has a nervous smile on his face.

"Welcome home Asher!!" the two say loudly.

The 16 year old's eyes start to water as he's engulfed in a hug. He drops his bags to the floor as Danielle and Derek squeeze him tightly.

"We're is happy you're back," Danielle says. She pulls away from their hug. "We missed you so much."

"I missed you guys too," Asher says, choking on his words.

"We have a lot of catching up to do," Derek says. He grabs Asher's bags and the three step inside.

"Wow," Asher says, taking in the room. The two have spared no expense in Asher's welcome home dinner. Asher steps through an arch of balloons and into the kitchen. "All this for me?"

"Just wait until you see you're room," Danielle says.

Asher's eyes get big. "What do you mean?"

"Go look," Derek says with a small smile in his face. The couple waits downstairs as Asher slowly makes his way up the stairs.

The once guest room that was once temporarily Asher's room has been completely redecorated. The soft, feminine touches are now gone and the room is now fit for a teenager.  There's a new bed frame, dark wood night stands and framed posters on the wall.

In one corner is a reading nook with a beanbag and bookshelves lined with several American classics. In the center of the room is a large queen bed. The once pastel pink bedding is now navy blue and white. The large number of pillows remains.

Across from the bed is a mounted, large flatscreen tv with a PS5 on the stand underneath. There's also a small couch at the foot of the bed.

His eyes had watered downstairs when he saw his welcome banner and balloons. But now Asher can't stop the tears that are falling down his face.

He slowly exits the bedroom and makes his way downstairs. The couple is waiting for him at the dining table.

"Aww Asher," Danielle says when she sees him making his way towards them. "Don't cry."

She gets up from the table and hugs him.

"Thank you. Thank you so much," he whispers. It's all he can manage through the tears.

"You're welcome," Danielle says. "You're gonna stay here as long as you want. Even if that's forever."

"We love you Asher," Derek says. He steps to Danielle's side and hugs the two of them.

"This is our little family now."