The Affair {16}

My body froze, and I nearly dropped my cell phone. I felt like I couldn’t even breathe. Surely I hadn’t heard him right.

                “God Connor, they fucking hurt you!”

                My body began to tremble violently, my blood running cold. Blake had played me. He had lied to me to make me feel safe and secure so that it would hurt that much worse when I got the call from Luka.

                “He took Felix home and then came back. He told me he had to show me something important. He said he had been worried about you, so to see if your parents h-h-hurt you, he set the situation up. He feels so bad about it, but he was glad he caught them in the act. Now we have proof they do that to you. God Connor, how could we have not known?” He was crying so hard I could barely understand him.

                “Luka…honest…it rarely happens,” I said weakly. “Let it go. Please let it go.”

                “Connor, you’re abused! You’re abused and I was too stupid to even realize it! You’ve gone through hell since you came out to them, huh? And you pretended none of it was happening. You pretended that you had this great relationship with them. They acted like you didn’t even exist!”

                I felt my head starting to throb again. “Luka, please. You can’t tell anyone. Please,” I whispered. “Promise me you won’t tell anyone.”

                “Connor, I can tell my dad. He can help you. He can get you away from them,” he said, his voice pleading with me.

                “I don’t want to get away from them!” I said, trying to regain my calm. “Luka, please, they’re my mom and dad. Just promise me you won’t tell anyone.”

                “Connor-”

                “Please, Luka. For me.”

                He hesitated. “Fine,” he said, sounding horribly defeated. “For right now. But you’re coming over tomorrow and we’re talking about this.”

                “It’s not as bad as it looked Luka,” I said silently.

                “I know what I saw Connor. Don’t even try to lie to me about this. I can’t stand the thought of anyone hurting you, especially your parents.”

                “I’m going to go now. I love you Luka. Don’t worry yourself too much,” I said and hung up before he could reply.

                I fell back on my bed and stared at my ceiling. There was no way to get myself out of this one. I couldn’t lie my way out of it.

                God, Blake had taken this revenge too far. This wasn’t revenge anymore. This was just cold hearted cruelty. I honestly hadn’t known that Blake had been capable of something like this.

                I could imagine him home right now, smirking to himself. He knew he had won. It was only a matter of time before he told Luka about the affair. Hell, it might only be a matter of time before Luka told his dad about my parents.

                I got up and went to my neighbor’s house, silently helping him for a few hours. When I was done, he paid me, thanked me, gave me a concerned look, and watched me walk back to my house. I felt like a zombie. It felt like my world was officially over.

                Once I was back in my room, I dug around in my drawer until I produced sleeping pills. I saved them for the hard nights like this.