The Affair {11}

***Blake’s POV***

                “Guys, I’m so worried about Connor,” Luka whispered.

                “Hey, I’m sure he’s okay,” Felix said, patting Luka on the back. But even he looked like he didn’t believe it.

                I couldn’t get the image of that bruise out of my mind. Were his parents abusing him? Now that I had seen that bruise, it was hard to think that they weren’t.

                If I could prove that his parents were abusing him, it would ruin everything for him and Luka. Luka would realize that Connor wasn’t as honest as he seemed to be. That would put doubt in Luka’s mind.

                And then I would raise that oh so important question of where it was Connor had been when he claimed to be with his parents. I wasn’t afraid to admit to our little affair. What did I have to lose? Some friends?

                I had already lost Connor, and nothing could be more painful than that. I’d been in love with him before he had ever come out as gay. He’d been my best friend for years, and somewhere along the way, I had fallen deeply in love with him.

                But now he had showed me what kind of a person he truly was. I never would’ve imagined that he could be so cruel and manipulative. But I had experienced it first had, and it was fueling me to reveal him to Luka. To crush Connor. To take away what he loved so he could feel the pain I did.

                Still, I did love him. Even if I hated it, I knew it was true. So the thought of him being abused at home drove me crazy.

                As if reading my thoughts, Luka looked up at me and Felix. “Do you guys think his mom and dad hit him?” he asked, barely audible. “I mean, he says that they don’t…but…”

                “Luka, if he says that they don’t him, then they don’t hit him. Would Connor lie to you?” I asked.

                “No,” Luka said with a sigh. “Connor would never lie to me, not about something as important as that. It’s just…I want to know who’s hurting him. I can’t stand the thought of someone actually hurting Connor. Who would do something as cruel as that? Connor is such a nice guy. Why would anyone ever want to hurt him?”

                I nearly laughed at the irony of that.

                “It’s probably one of the homophobes at school,” I said. “You know how violent they are.”

                “Blake’s probably right, Luka. They’ve harassed me before and I’m not even gay. They’ve harassed me just for defending you guys,” Felix said with a frown. “They probably went after Connor afterschool since we weren’t with him.”

                I nodded, barely paying attention to what he was saying. I had to find some way to prove that Connor was being abused at home.

                I guess the only way to really do that was to go to his house and record it if I saw it happening. But it would be hard to do that, unless it happened it Connor’s basement. The windows there were ground level, and I could easily hide and record anything there.

                But how the hell was I supposed to get Connor down there? If his parents really were hitting him, he would probably stay holed up in his bedroom.