Chapter One

We were literally out, standing in a field, listening to Brad Paisley sing hits off of his newest album. It was mid-June, and the hot Texas sun was beating down on us; everyone was either burned to a crisp or would be shortly.

"Andrea! Andi? Helllooooo? Andrea?"

"Hmm? What?" I yelled back.

"I'm going to go get something to drink, I'll be right back," my best friend said.

"Do you want me to come with you, Tay?" I asked.

"No, I'll be fine," she smiled.

"Okay, I'm going to go stand over there in the shade by the barn. I have my phone, so call me if you need any help, or if you can't find me."

"Got it, thanks," she grinned and skipped off in search of refreshments, her auburn Pipi Longstocking braids flapping under her cowgirl hat in the wind created by her movement. I wove through the crowd to the barn some distance from where we had been standing. The stage was a ways away, but I could still hear the music.

One would think that I'd be used to the weather in Texas by now, since I'd lived here all my life, but I could have sworn that it got hotter every year. Once I was in the shade, I took off my baseball cap and pulled my blonde hair back into a ponytail using one of the hair ties that resided on my wrist. Then I returned the hat to my head, tucking the ponytail through the hole in the back.

A few other people had had the same idea as I had and were standing in the shade, out of the direct sunlight. 'Great minds think alike,' I thought. One of them stepped away from the wall and made their way towards me. Yay.

"Hey, do have a jersey? Cause I need your name and number," he smirked at me and lounged back against the barn next to me with his hat on backwards and a tank top showing off his tattoo sleeves. He was cocky, and dirty-minded, and incredibly attractive, but there was no way I'd tell him that.

"I don't think so," I turned my back on him and started walking away.

He ran after me. "I promise I'm good for more than just a one-timer."

"I bet that's what you tell all the girls," I replied.

"You know who I am," it wasn't a question.

"I don't need a jersey to tell me that," I sassed back.

"What's my name?"

"Tyler."

"The one and only!"

"I'm pretty sure that there are other Tylers out there," I replied and he almost tripped.

"Well, I'm the best."

"The best at what?" I challenged.

"You know who I am, you should know that, too."

"I know of you," I corrected, "I don't know what you're 'the best' at."

"I'm really good at putting it in the five hole, if you know what I mean," he winked.

"You're the best at hockey? Funny, everyone says Crosby is the best. Though, in my opinion Lidstrom was the bomb dot com."

"Crosby?" Tyler scrunched up his face, offended by my mention of Canada's Golden Boy and the captain of the team that had just beaten him in the Stanley Cup Finals. "He's getting old," Tyler said, not letting it phase him for long.

"He's not even thirty!"

"Twenty-seven is old in hockey."

"I know that, I've just always found it funny that people say that anything over twenty-six is old in hockey."

"Well, by then you've already hit peak condition and you're not as fast as the young blood," Tyler said proudly.

"I take it that you include yourself in the category of 'young blood'."

"Twenty-three and loving life," he smiled a ridiculously cute smile and I almost let my guard down, but I knew better. He was an infamous party boy with a record body count, so I kept walking.

"Can I have your name?"

"I don't know, can you?" I asked, turning back to face him, raising an eyebrow and planting my hands on my hips.

He smirked, "I could just call you Sassy Pants."

I rolled my eyes, "Andrea Darwin."

"Andrea darlin'," his eyes twinkled with mischief.

"Darwin," I corrected.

"Well, darlin', it's nice to meet you. I'm Tyler Seguin," he extended his hand.

"Nice to meet you, too," I said reflexively, shaking his hand.

"What are you doing out here?"

"In Dallas? Oh, you know, hunting elephants and stuff."

"Come on, darlin', what are you really doing here?"

"I came for the music, like everyone else here. Why did you come?"

"For the music. Like everyone else here," his ever-present smirk widened.

"Whatever. I'll see you around, Seguin."

"You're ditching me?" He demanded, easily keeping pace with me because of his longer legs.

"Don't you have friends?"

"You didn't answer my question," he was in front of me, walking backwards and pouting, trying to get an answer of me.

"Yes. Watch out, you'll trip."

"Why are you so mean?" He whined.

"Please explain how I'm being mean, Tyler; I just warned you to watch your step."

"You don't want to hang out with me," he pouted.

"You don't exactly have a lot of redeeming qualities..."

"You don't know me," he said. I ignored him, turned, and walked back towards the barn. I had to stay there because that's where I'd told Tay I would be. "Maybe I'm not who you think I am."

"Maybe I'm okay not finding out. See you around, Seguin," I said with a tone of finality. 

"Bye, darlin'," he sounded dejected, but I tried to keep it from bothering me; my Momma had warned me about boys like him, and I had promised her that I'd steer clear of trouble.

Author's Note

Hey, hey hockey fans! This is my latest piece of hockey fanfiction featuring the wicked, young Tyler Seguin; I hope your enjoyed it. Please vote and comment to let me know what you thought! Thank you so much :) a new update will be coming soon!