Chapter 6- The Baby Monitor Protocol

The next day at shop class, Maddi and Peter were working on the glowing weapon they found last night

The next day at shop class, Maddi and Peter were working on the glowing weapon they found last night. "Hey, thanks for bailing on me, guys." Ned says as he joins the twins.

"We're so sorry, Ned. Something came up." Maddi says. Ned spots the glowing weapon.

"What is that?" He asks.

"I don't know. Some guy tried to vaporize us with it." Peter says as he struggles to take the device apart.

"Seriously?" Ned asks.

"Yeah." Peter says.

"Awesome." Ned says. Peter and Maddi give Ned a look. "I mean, not awesome. Totally uncool of that guy. So scary."

"Well, look, we think it's a power source." Peter says.

"Yeah, but it's connected to all these microprocessors. That's an inductive charging plate. That's what I use to charge my toothbrush." Ned says.

"Whoever's making these weapons is combining alien tech with ours." Maddi says.

"That is literally the coolest sentence anyone has ever said. I just want to thank you guys for letting me be part of your journey...into this amazing..." Ned is interrupted when Peter picks up a hammer and hits the core really hard, making the core pop out from its place. The three friends look at the teacher who was reading a book and not paying attention to what they were doing.

"Keep your fingers clear of the blades." The teacher says. Peter, Maddi and Ned turn back around.

"I gotta figure out what this is and who makes it." Peter says.

"We'll go to the lab after class and run tests." Maddi says.

"Let's do it." Peter says. The three of them then did their own separate but complicated secret handshakes.

~*~

After class, the three of them were walking down the hallway towards the lab. Maddi walked between the two boys as Ned spoke up. "First, I say we put the glowy thing in the mass spectrometer."

"First, we gotta come up with a better name than "glowy thingy." Maddi says.

"You're right." Ned says. Then Maddi and Peter see two guys walk into the hallway and instantly remembered they were the guys from last night.

"Crap." Peter says. He and Maddi hide behind a wall while Ned just stands awkwardly in the hallway.

"Ned!" Maddi whispered.

"Come on, come on, come on." Peter whispered. Ned looks around, then shuffled across the corridor to join Peter and Maddi by a classroom window. Behind them, a group of kids were playing a game of chess. Maddi, Ned and Peter looked at the two guys approaching.

"High school creeps me out." Schultz, one of the men says. "They got this funny smell, you know?"

"Hey, that's one of the guys that tried to kill us." Peter whispered as the three friends hide behind the wall.