twenty-nine ☽ a vow

Sunlight leaked through the windows of Cora's motel room as she sat on the edge of the bed, studying the new talisman in her hand. It felt heavy, burdened with the weight of what she had promised to do. Cora took off the purple crystal necklace that she'd always worn and put it in her bag. Then she put the talisman around her neck, spelling it so that no one could remove it but her.

Cora put her fingers against it, her eyes closed. Then she heard a voice that was starting to grow on her.

"Your life would've been a whole lot easier if you let me get sucked into oblivion."

"I made you a promise, Jason," Cora said, looking at the spirit of her brother. "I mean it when I make those."

"How long until you think you can bring me back?"

"Depends, do you want your body or do you want to steal someone else's?" Jason raised his eyebrows at her sharp words.

"You're not in a good mood."

"I've got a bad feeling, Jay," Cora admitted with a heavy sigh. "Not that I know much about balance but something feels off."

"Well, supernatural purgatory doesn't exist anymore."

"It's not that...I need to go back to New Orleans." Cora stood up, running her hands through her hair. The twisting feeling in her gut wouldn't go away. "Maybe I'm paranoid because Hayley's due date is soon."

"Nature's very first tribrid? Yeah, I'd say that's a little off," Jason said and then he frowned. "But is that a good idea? You know, cause of the whole Original witch thing?"

"Might as well see if my new tattoo is useful."

"Not to sound selfish, but if you get screwed, so do I."

Cora looked at him and swallowed hard. She couldn't help the flashes of what she'd done to him that came whenever she looked at his face. His young, innocent face.

If she didn't save him, the guilt over what she'd done was going to kill her. Those months ago, when Elijah had called her to ask her to come to New Orleans...that was the first time she'd felt something other than depression and suffocating guilt.

She couldn't save her mother, so she had to save Jason. Maybe the family loyalty of the Mikaelsons had rubbed off on her.

Their stupid "always and forever" vow.

"Theo will keep looking," Cora promised quietly, putting her bag over her shoulder. "I just need a couple days in New Orleans. To make sure that everything's fine."

"Not like I can do anything about it."

"I'm sure you'll keep me on my toes with your colourful commentary." Then Cora raised a hand to her talisman. It emitted a warmth as it briefly shifted colour and then the vision of Jason faded into nothing.

A knock came to her door and Cora opened it, coming face-to-face with Theo.

"I know that look, hon. What are you planning?"

At first, Cora didn't answer, closing the door of her motel room behind her. Then she looked back at him, a neutral look on her face.

"Nothing. Can we go now?"

"I didn't mentor a liar, Cora."

"Must be my inevitable evil nature finally rising to the surface."

"Hey!" Theo hissed in a measured whisper, clutching Cora's arm to pull her back. She whipped her head around to look at him, her eyes flashing a warning violet. "Don't pull that shit with me, Cora. Keeping everything in is dangerous. Especially from people you care about."