14. Decisions

"You didn't have to be so rude". Bellona huffed as she tried to keep pace with Nyx who was practically jogging down the streets of Velaris. He didn't even bother to look at her as he answered back, "well you didn't have to run away last night like a sook. I've been looking for you all night". Bellona didn't doubt that. His eyes were bloodshot and his hair tousled as if he had been running his hand through it. Still, Bellona couldn't help but be annoyed at him.

Nyx barely let her say goodbye to Nithar and his Nana before he pulled her out of the home and forced her to walk with him back to the House of Wind. The comforting smells of breakfast now forgotten as they neared the base of the steps. All 10,000 of them. Bellona couldn't even begin to fathom what stupid person would want 10,000 steps when they could either winnow themselves anywhere or fly.

Nyx turned around. It took Bellona two seconds to register what he wanted. "Oh hell no, I'm not flying with you. I don't care, the only time I'm ever going to get that close to you is to kill you. Something tells me you'd rather not die right now". Bellona crossed her arms over her chest, partially daydreaming that scenario actually happening.

"You're an actual psycho."

"You're an actual prick".

"Fine. Have fun". Unfolding his Illyrian wings, he flashed her one of his hated smirks. The strong leather like wings enabling him to push himself effortlessly off the ground. Soon he was nothing a dark blob floating in the sky towards the building in the mountain. Huffing in determination, Bellona pulled the too long sleeves of her borrowed shirt up to her elbows, and started the intimidating trek up to the House of Wind.

One step at a time.

🕸🖤🕸🖤🕸

The harsh sun glared down on Bellona as she pulled herself up onto the last of the 10,000 steps. She had resorted to crawling the last few thousand after her starting enthusiasm soon ran out on the steep stairs. Sweat pouring out of her she collapsed onto her back, throat dry and scratchy as she let herself rest. She lay there for a long time, forcing herself to take deep breaths, in and out, trying to open her starved lungs.

She groaned as a moving shadow came to a stop over her. Her hand slowly coming down from her face to see who bothered to come out and witness her suffering.

The spymaster's son. Connall.

She rolled her eyes, covering them back up as the light threatened to blind her. Fully intending to stay outside for however long it took her to recover from the spreading pains in her legs. Bending down, he scooped the tired girl into his arms. His many shadows - a lighter shade than his father's - twisting through her waist length hair, and running down to her feet.

Too drunk on exhaustion, Bellona didn't even care that she clung to him like a babe to its mother. Pride flooded through her as she gazed back over his shoulder, at the mountain she had just conquered and the fact that she had shown the little prick just how stubborn she was. Walking through doors and passing a room filled with chatter, Bellona let herself rest her head against his chest, her fingers gently moving to try and calm down the shadows that seemed to be buzzing with excitement.

Bellona could feel the softness of the silk sheets as he lay her down on the bed. The floor creaking slightly as he retreated, his comforting wisps begrudgingly leaving her as well. Tiredly, she pulled Abrin's joggers off her aching feet.

"Thank you".

He nodded in response, taking a scar-flecked hand and closing the door behind him.

                                   🕸🖤🕸🖤🕸

She could imagine his skin shredding as the monster ripped into him. The once powerful muscles tearing from his bones, ligaments soon following. Blood vessels bursting, coating the sharp teeth in a shower of red. Bakarus' severed head rolled down the slope, as his mangled body stayed underneath the powerful jaws of the Chernabog.