VIII-Running From Them, Running To You

Okay, so this upload took a while-sorry.  The amazing thing though, is that I realized that because I do nothing and am incredibly bored in my first two blocks every other day at school...well now I can write during them.  Don't know why I didn't have this amazing thought months ago, but ah well.  Sooo, this chapter took a bit of a different turn than expected, I'll have to keep what I was planning for this chapter for the next one.  What started as only an introduction kinda turned into an entire chapter.....whoops.  But there were a couple different things that poke a little at the real plot, so I figured, what the hell, I'll post it.  So here it is!

“I don’t want to get up,” I whined as Courtney tried to pull me out of bed Friday morning.  The comforters created a warm cocoon around me, gently lulling me back to sleep.  I closed my eyes and quickly dozed off again, Courtney still yanking my arm.

What seemed like only seconds later, a loud blaring woke me from my peaceful slumber.  The alarm clock screamed in my ear, resting only inches away on my pillow.  I rolled over and snatched the yellow post-it off the front of its screen.

Sleepyhead –

Ashley’s taking me to school.  Couldn’t get you up, so you’re stuck with the bus.

C

            I rolled my eyes.  Love you too, Courtney.

            Stretching, I contemplated going back to sleep, but already my drowsy state was dissipating.  I yawned, then slid off the bed, landing on shaky feet.

            The closet was my first destination, to fish for something of Courtney’s to wear.  This would surely being an adventure, choosing something for myself for the first time.  All this week, Courtney had played dress up with me, selecting exactly what I was going to wear.  It was time for me to assess exactly what all my options were.

            Five minutes later, I crawled out, still in nothing but pajamas.  It was a nightmare in there!  Even if I only had to deal with one side of her closet that held her normal clothes, there still had to be a hundred different things to choose from.  I pressed my cheek into the carpet and closed my eyes.  Suddenly I didn’t want to go to school.  I’d gone all week, not even skipping one class.  It was a miracle I was even here, but I knew one of the driving forces compelling me to stay was the party tonight, as sad as it was.  After tonight, I told myself, I could leave.  I’d probably be gone by morning.

            I cringed at the thought, then reprimanded myself when I realized what I was doing.  Of course I needed to leave; I had already way overstayed my planned visit.  Why would I even want to stay?

            The onslaught of answers that followed made me realize I probably shouldn’t have asked myself that question.  Sure, there were a lot of reasons to stay, but the bad far outweighed the good that would come from it.  Just because I couldn’t think of any bad at the moment didn’t mean it wasn’t there.  School was a whole different story though.  I could only think of bad things for going today, mainly me being too lazy.

            It was my last day, I told myself.  I should go back.  But the thought of another day of school just made me want to scream.  It just wasn’t going to happen.

            Maybe I was better this way.  I wouldn’t have to deal with hanging out today, knowing I’d never see any of them again.  A clean break.  Of course, I’d see everyone at the party tonight though…I just hoped I  was drunk enough that I wouldn’t notice it.