VII-Running From Them, Running To You

Yeah, I'm alive!  And haven't completely ditched you guys.  Sorry for the long wait.  If you guys are still with me now, I really appreciate it-you're amazing!

I sighed, dropping into a seat beside Courtney.  I dropped my head into my arms, blocking everything else out, including a fuming Wade who sat across from me. 

            “Long day?”  She asked me, and I nodded against the desk. 

            “I forgot how much school sucks,” I muttered honestly.  I wasn’t sure if she’d heard me with my head down, but another voice piped in.

            “You forgot?”  At first I thought the masculine voice belonged to Wade, but it wasn’t as smooth.  I peeked up through my hair, and my eyes rested on the boy sitting at the desk in front of me, right beside Wade.  Honor’s boyfriend, I realized after a moment. 

            “When’s the last time you were at school?”  He asked, his brows furrowed.  Shit, didn’t need to give that away.  Wade and Courtney both turned their heads to me, though Wade was probably more concerned with his sweatshirt I was wearing.  Trying to ignore the question, I put my head back down, but I still felt their gazes piercing my body.

            “A while,” I finally settled for, and then clammed up.  I wouldn’t give up any of that information willingly. 

            Math dragged by painfully slow, as had all of the other classes this afternoon.  I don’t even know why I bothered to stay; hell, there wasn’t much anyone could do to a girl who had nothing.  But, despite the dreadfully boring lessons that I artfully tuned out, I secretly was enjoying the company of other human beings.  Independence was key to my success, but every once in a while, the loneliness had really hit me over the past few months.  Some immersion in human contact might be good: it could hold me over for my next span of solitude.

            “So there’s a party Friday,” Wade addressed us, turning around in his seat and addressing Courtney and I.  “You’re going, Court, aren’t you?”

            Courtney examined her black nails, not even sparing Wade a glance.  “Course I’m going.  Don’t have anything else to do if everyone’s going to be there.”

            Wade nodded, content with her answer.  “How ‘bout you, Auden?”

            My eyes shot wide open.  “Mm-e-e?”  I stuttered.  What was this?  I’d only known the guy for less than a day, and he was already pissed at me for stealing his sweatshirt, which I was still wearing.  What was he doing inviting me to a party?

            He gave me a funny look.  “No, the other Auden in the room.  Who else would I be talking to?”

            I shrugged, holding my hands up in defeat.  “I dunno.”

            Wade shook his head.  “Definitely a keeper,” he told Courtney, and then turned back to me.  “So are you going or not?”

            “Friday?”  I asked tentatively.  Wade nodded like I was a mental case, probably already rethinking his casual invitation.  Subconsciously, I bit my lip, thinking it over.  I hadn’t been to a party in ages, but would I still be around until Friday?  I hadn’t planned on it . . . but a party.  With real live people.  Just for fun.  Was it too good to pass up?

            Courtney looked at me expectantly, and nodded encouragingly when I looked her way.  “Well, I. . . I guess I can,” I stuttered out.