Bad Dreams Aren't Real

Nightmares were a common occurrence in Maddie's day to day life. After her experiences with Mikoto, the murders she committed, and homelessness, it wasn't hard to see why. It got to the point that she was getting numb to them, as most couldn't shock her badly enough to cry anymore. However, after she started a relationship with Dabi, an unknown fear was slowly settling itself as a seed planted inside her mind. She thought about that fear once or twice, but believed it would die as just a seedling. She was wrong, and it kept growing. It grew so much that it finally settled into her psyche and tore its way into her dreams as a new nightmare.

The dream was set in a bar. Maddie hadn't been to a bar in a long time, but she soon realized it was what she believed their home would've looked like back when it was originally a functioning back alley bar. Tavia was the barista behind the bar and Dabi was sitting on one of the stools. She found it odd that Dabi was already there and she hadn't come with him, as they always went everywhere together most of the time. Shrugging it off, she happily went to go and greet him.

"Hi, Dabi-Kun." She waved happily.

Dabi acknowledged she was there, but suddenly scowled and looked away. Maddie's heart sank at that look. That was a look he gave to those he truly hated. She has seen him give that look to thugs who wanted to harm him on the street, or when he saw Pro Heroes on TV. She thought she was safe from it. Why would he look at her that way? What would she ever do to warrant that look of pure malice?

"Dabi?" Maddie walked closer. "Are you okay?" Dabi only turned away more. She inched closer. "What's the matter? You can tell me."

Tears were already beginning to form from how scared she was. The fact that he wasn't speaking to her only scared her more. That information was vital to her, but she was getting nothing. She reached to sweetly grab his arm, but he yanked it away, proving to her that she was the problem and causing her to cry.

"Dabi! What did I do?! Why are you mad at me?!" Maddie pressed him.

Dabi finally spoke to her with the same hateful glare. "You know what you fucking did."

Maddie was grateful to hear him speak, but was greatly hurt by the words. "No! I don't! Please tell me! I'm so sorry! I never wanted to hurt you!"

"It's too late." Dabi stood up and heading towards the door. "I thought you were different, but you're just like the rest. A manipulative, fake, conniving bitch."

"I..." Maddie's heart was ripped apart. "What... did I... do?" She cried and fell to her knees. "What did I do, Dabi?! Please tell me!"

"The fact that you don't know just proves it." Dabi growled. "I can't believe I allowed someone to trick me again." He laughed crazily. "Guess what, you manipulative Pro Hero pest? You've made me learn my lesson for the last time. I'm done feeling anything at all. It's only going to end in tragedy. It always has."

"N-No! Dabi!" Maddie's breaths were quick. "It's not true! Even if I really did do something bad, there are so many good people are there still!"

"It's over, Enersai." Dabi turned and gave her a fake wave. "I'm done with you. I'm done with all of you pathetic fakes."

"DABI! NO!" Maddie jumped towards him, but was met with a door slammed in her face. She tried to open it, but it was now locked and he was gone forever. "PLEASE! DABI! DON'T LEAVE ME!" She threw her fists at the door. "WHAT DID I DO?! WHAT DID I DO?!"

"Don't worry, Maddie." Tavia suddenly spoke from the bar as she poured a drink. "I'm sure everything will be fine."

"W-What?" Maddie bawled. "Dabi hates me! How could anything ever be fine again?!" She ran and grabbed Tavia arm. "Tavia! Please tell me what I did to Dabi! Please! Maybe I can fix this!"