My First Friend

It had been about a week since Dabi let Maddie live with him. He didn't seem to like her much at all, and she learned quickly that she just shouldn't talk or bother him at all unless it was really important. He'd work all day and never tell her when he was leaving or coming home, so she took the hours she had to be alone. Most of the time, she just went out during the day and forced herself to fall asleep before Dabi came home. Whenever they did have a confrontation, she'd be a nervous wreck and he'd dismiss her and not care about much of what she had to say. Thankfully that didn't happen too often. At night she'd rather go without any more food just so she didn't have to be around him.

While walking around with a hungry stomach, she found a small bookstore that had manga in it. She loved manga. It was probably one of the only things she enjoyed in her miserable existence. There was hardly anyone ever there, so she could duck into a corner and read a lot of manga on the shelves for hours until sunset hit when she had to go back to her supposed home.

"Well, hello again, child." A woman about in her fifties who owned the shop smiled. "Going for more manga?"

"Yeah." Maddie smiled. "I hope you don't mind... I know I never actually buy anything."

"It's whatever." The woman smiled. "I enjoy your company... Uhhhh... What's your name again?"

"Maddie." Maddie smiled and went to the manga shelf.

"That's a cool name." The woman smiled. "My name is Beck."

"You have a great name, too." Maddie told her and found a book she wanted. She started for her corner behind the bookshelf that hid her well.

Her corner was dark with a little light from the openings of the shelf. She had to sit a certain way to see the book. It was okay, though, because nobody but Beck would know she was there. It had been a month and a week since she ran away, so the news may have died down, but not so much that she felt comfortable being seen by many. She was lucky Beck didn't seem to watch the news. The bell to the shop rang as someone walked in. Maddie listened to their footsteps. It sounded like they were wearing boots. Beck let out a sigh and a smirk.

"Well, if it isn't the little troublemaker." Maddie overheard her say.

"To say such a thing about your own daughter!" A girl with a deeper voice than Maddie's fake gasped. "I only make trouble when I need to."

"You seem to constantly need to." Beck grinned. "Are you here to steal another manga from my store?"

"I'm your 'kind of' daughter. I own this place." The girl snickered and went to grab a book from the same shelf Maddie was behind.

Maddie felt a sudden fear as a beautiful tan hand with black rings reached and grabbed a book with precision. A jade eye noticed her little brown head and it widened. Maddie's hazel eyes made contact for one moment and she quickly looked away with a shy blush. The girl grinned at the sight of her.

"Hey! There's someone hiding behind here!" The girls high heeled boots walked over.

Maddie curled up into a little bashful ball, letting out a little scared noise. The girl was beautiful with long black hair she let loose, sparkling and intimidating eyes, painted black nails, black shirt, and ripped leggings. She would've immediately been identified as a goth girl by anyone who saw her, but in reality, she just liked how she looked in black. Her rather bubbly and fun loving personality came out quickly.

"Hi, there! Not a lot of people come in here for manga." The girl held her hand out. "Can I see?" Maddie realized she was asking for the manga she had in her hand. She slowly handed it to her and shyly looked away when she took it. The girl saw the cover and grinned. "You like it, too?! It's my favorite!"