The Day that Broke Me

Today was October seventh: Maddie's birthday. That normally meant nothing more to her than getting older. She'd just get a half hearted "happy birthday" from her teachers and classmates and go home to Riley and Mikoto not being there until late at night. Mikoto always planned a special day with Riley on October seventh, just so nobody would be there to celebrate Maddie's birth. For once it was different this year. Riley know knew what had been going on and also knew that it was her sisters birthday.

Around her third period class, she was once again called to the principals office where surprisingly only Aizawa was the one there. He seemed to be the most intimidating of the bunch, but Maddie knew he was just there to help her and her sister. Midnight and All Might must have had important hero work they were called to do.

"Have you spoken with your sister and made a decision?" Aizawa asked her once she closed the door.

"Yes, and I have evidence." Maddie rummaged through her pocket and pulled out the phone.

"Excellent." Aizawa nodded and held his hand out to take it.

The footage was viewed by both Aizawa and Maddie. While Maddie cringed at hearing her being physically beaten on camera, Aizawa was much more calm and good at hiding his anger and disgust. Once it neared the end where she was talking with Riley, Aizawa stopped the video.

"This is more than enough evidence." Aizawa sighed. "I'm very sorry that you've been living like this. With your sister on board, you are prepared for the road ahead?"

"Yes, I am." Maddie nodded with determination.

"This could be a very long process. We will do our best to make sure your mother doesn't find out until the court case. With this, she will most certainly lose." He looked at the phone. "May I borrow this for a moment?"

Maddie nodded and allowed him to keep the phone. He used a cord to plug the phone into the computer and transfered the evidence over onto an SD card. It was erased from the phone and brought to the tiny little card he put in his pocket. Once finished, he handed it back.

"Now it will be safe in the courts hands and your mother will have no way of destroying it." Aizawa assured her. "Thank you, Madelynn. You've made the lives of you and your sister better by your actions today. You've also started the process of making Musutafu a bit safer. Fraud Pro Heroes will not stand in this society. I won't allow it."

There was silence for a moment and Maddie shyly fidgeted with her sleeves. "Is there anything else I can do?"

"No, you've done enough." Aizawa reached down and grabbed a bag, bringing it up. It was from a burger place nearby. "Present Mic brought me this when he knows I don't like that place much. So it's yours."

"O-Oh! Thank you!" Maddie grabbed the bag and smelled the different fragrances inside. "Thank you..." She said again happily.

"I kind of have the information I need on your homelife, but is there anything you'd like to add?" Aizawa asked her while she ate.

"Well..." Maddie munched on her food. "Today is my birthday."

"Happy birthday." Aizawa nodded.

"And... every year on my birthday, mom and Riley go out for a whole day and don't come back until way late into the night." Maddie frowned. "It's um... I'm sure it's because she doesn't want to acknowledge my birth. She always calls me a mistake."

"I see." Aizawa wrote that down on a piece of paper.

"My sister actually knows today is my birthday this time though." Maddie smiled. "I'm really happy about that."