|| Chapter Twenty-Four ||

Daniel sat up and brought his feet to the ground so he was sitting on the edge of the bed while I just stood rooted to the spot. I mean what exactly was I supposed to do in a situation like this? I was aiming to avoid this guy like the plague and, yes, I hadn’t done a good job when I accidently called him but that wasn’t my fault. His number was deleted anyway straight after that in order to maintain the distance I created. Not that it was working.

I guess the Moon Goddess wasn’t playing any games.

My thoughts were clouded with hundreds of questions but the only one I managed to utter was, “How did you get in…” But I didn’t even manage to complete it when my eyes landed on the answer, an open window. Did I leave it open? Even if I didn’t, I was pretty sure a closed window wouldn’t be able to stop Daniel from accessing my room anyway. 

Goddamn him.

The side of his lips curved upwards with a ghost of a smile. “Close the door.”

That one phrase seemed to bring back memories of the time he had come into my room before. He had once told me to do the same thing. This time, I wasn’t planning on leading him to think I was going to follow his every order. Before, all I wanted was for this relationship to work. Now, I just wanted him to reject me and relief me from this pain. I crossed my arms over my chest. “I don’t think you should be ordering me around in my own room.”

His smile faded and was replaced with gritted teeth. “I forgot how stubborn you were.”

“I’m not stubborn. You’re just too freaking bossy.”

“Red, close the fucking door.” He sighed, pulling at his hair. “Please.”

A small grin couldn’t help but attack my lips as I noticed how foreign the word sounded coming from him but I quickly wiped it off of my face. I was angry at him and that’s what he needed to see. “Why? So you could continue to hurt me?”

He smacked his lips together. “No, so your family doesn’t hear shit. That is, unless you wanna tell them I’m your damn mate.”

He had a point. If my parents found out he was here – let’s just say things wouldn’t end nicely. And that, ladies and gentlemen, was how I ended up locked in my room with Daniel Collins…again. Except this time, I was absolutely apprehensive about it. This guy enjoyed hurting me.   

“Daniel?”

“Hmm.”

“Why,” I slowly swallowed my nervousness down, “are you here?” 

He gave me a long stare then looked down to face his lap. “I –uh…” With one hand, he brought the piece of paper that he was playing with into view. I frowned as I tried to evaluate what he was doing. 

“Here,” he said. He threw the paper towards me and thankfully I caught it just in time.

The piece of paper was crumbled into a circle and it took me a while to try and unfold it without ripping it apart. When I had finally opened the paper, I noticed two words written in scribbled handwriting:

                I’m sorry.

Looking up into Daniel’s eyes, I gave him a questioning look. “W-what?”

He sighed. “I’m sorry,” he repeated, “for what I said before. It was fucked up.”

I looked up at him as his figure became larger and it wasn’t until my brain started working again that I noticed he was walking closer to me. I was completely astounded by what was happening that for a second I thought I was dreaming. Am I dreaming?