Chapter 11

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Caden’s POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    It felt like I had a hangover as I struggled to open my eyes.  Every sounds was like a thousand blaring sirens right in my ear.  It was as if someone was beating my skull with a tire iron.  Fireworks were exploding in my eyes and burning them out of my sockets.  I tried to move my arms and legs, but my muscles weren’t cooperating correctly.  Even my brain was disobedient.  I couldn’t remember anything that happened within the past three hours.  Snippets of the day seemed to flash slowly before my eyes: Carter talking to me, her surprise with the truth, the park.  I struggled to recall what else happened, but it still wasn’t coming to me. 

    After ten minutes of excruciating pain and thinking, I started to move.  The pain dulled to an average headache and it only felt like someone was hitting me with a two-by-four instead of a tire iron.  It was manageable.

    I forced myself to stand up, and balanced myself on the bed in my room. “Wait, how did I get here?  What the f*ck?!”  I brooded angrily.  That powerful surge of confusion and anger seemed to trigger my memories from yesterday.  Plus the tranquilizer dart that was still lodged in my throat kind of clued me. 

    Carter saved me!  She held me in her lap and risked her life to teleport me home.  F*ck, I need to save her!  Sector 5 took her away from me.  We belong together, and they took her away from me!  Especially when she was just opening up to me.  Those assholes!  If they even hurt a hair on her head, I swear I’m going to kill every single one of them.

    “Caden, can you hear me?”  Carter’s voice mumbled in my mind.  She sounded weak and desperate.  I jumped in surprise.  Leave it to her to keep fighting.  She was feisty, and that's why I liked her.

    “Yeah I hear you.  Loud and clear-  where are you?  Did they hurt you?!  What can I do?”  I growled to her.  I was getting angry just thinking about that.  This girl was driving me crazy.

    “Calm down.  Calm down.  Please just listen-  I’m in some government facility.  They have me sedated.  I can’t talk for too long.  The building is disguised as a military bunker at the edge of town.  Be careful . . . please . . .”  Her voice faded out as I grabbed my jacket.  I was going to save her and take down Sector 5.  Even if I didn’t clear my name, at least I could help Carter.  And at the moment, that’s all that matters. 

    My hands were still shaking from anger.  It was my fault that Carter was in trouble.  I felt a sharp pain in my chest.  I’ve never felt anything like this.  I think I was actually feeling something for this girl.  Lately she’s been the only thing I could think about, and I longed for the feeling of her skin under my fingertips.  That electricity was undeniably attractive, and now there was a possibility that I would never feel that again.  Hell no, I wasn’t letting that happen.  I needed to see her again.  I could barely contain my rage as I stormed out of the house toward the military base outside of town.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Carter’s POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    I kept on slipping in and out of consciousness after the government agents brought me to the military base.  It was like an out of body experience;  my thoughts were so clouded that I didn’t have any control of the things that I did.  They injected me with more and more drugs to keep me from using my powers.  For the past hour I’ve been in a bright white room with no windows.  The only object in the small room was the harsh metal bed that I was bound to.  There were leather restraints around my wrists and ankles that were chained to the bottom of the bed frame.  Only a thin mattress separated the metal from my skin; it was not the most comfortable situation ever.  The bonds were just tight enough to hurt, but not tight enough to cut off my circulation.   It seemed like everything in this room was made for my discomfort:  the chains, the starkness of the room, the brightness of the light above my head, and the drugs that burned as they circulated through my blood.