Chapter 2

With all of my powers, I’ve learned how to feel when danger is coming.  There is only one other time that I’ve actually felt that nagging at the back of my brain.  That was a day when a new teen came to The Castle.  He could “control” the elements.  I say “control” lightly, because he really had no power over his gift.  He was dangerous, and confused.  I helped him learn to use his powers, and came away with only minor damages.  Today, however, I felt that nagging again.  But it was much more prominent.  Caden.  He was here.  I knew I had to be super careful today.

Half of the day was over, and I already survived gym, AP Literature, and AP Statistics.  My next class was AP Bio- my only class without Izze, Anna, Ben, Alex, or Riley.  They weren’t really science people I guess.  I normally loved this class.  It was interesting and relatively easy, but I just felt my heart drop as I walked into my class.  Something was going to happen this hour, I just knew.

I took my seat in the middle and planned what I was going to do.  My dad never prepared me for a “bad feeling”.  Maybe I was just being paranoid.  I mean my whole life I’ve been hiding from everyone, I have to be at least a little paranoid.  But I couldn’t fight my gut.  It was almost never wrong.  Something bad was definitely going to happen.  All I could do was be careful and lay low.  No using my powers for the rest of the day.

Mr. Peterson droned on as I sat nervously in my desk.  If only I could be like everyone else in this class.  They all were solely worried about the next test, or who they were going to ask to prom.  I, on the other hand, am worried about being taken by the government, or some rouge person with a gruesome power.  Don’t get me wrong, I love my life.  I will never regret anything that I have done, or who I was born to be.  But one can always dream of fitting in.  I was so engrossed in my thoughts that I didn’t realize that Mr. Peterson was handing out a sheet of notes.  Just as he went to hand out the sheet on cell respiration and photosynthesis, I felt a pang of nervousness.  Caden was close.  I was sure that I would be safe in school though.  I could hide in plain sight around all of the other normal people.  One of my many powers shielded me from being identified as someone with powers.  So if Caden did come in, he would not be able to pick me out of a crowd.  I reassured myself and took the sheet that Mr. Peterson handed to me.  Just to be sure, I quickly read the minds of the people around me.  Yes, I can read minds when I want to.  It is one of my favorite powers and it is one of the most useful.  I was relieved that nobody else noticed how jittery and nervous I was at the moment.  I was safe.  Or not.

Just as a lulled myself into a false sense of security, my world came crashing down.  Someone had just transported themselves into the room.  He was my age- about 18.  He had short brown/black hair that looked windblown and messy while still looking good.  He had piercing green eyes and was tall.  Maybe 6 foot 2.  He was built like a swimmer.  Strong but lean and very fit.  From the lack of surprise in the room, I assumed that I was the only person who could see him.  He can teleport, and be invisible-  this must be Caden.  We were the only people in the world that could have more than one power.  This has to be him, I thought nervously.  I pretended like I didn’t see him; I pretended like I was a normal person; I pretended like I wasn’t scared.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vote.Comment.Fan