Chapter 7

I had a severe case of deja vu.  I was opening my eyes again in the same bed I had about 3 hours before.  Except this time, I was more comfortable.  As I became more lucid, I realized that wasn’t the only difference.  This time, Caden’s arms were around me.  What was going on?  I slowly loosened Caden’s grip on me.  It was easy because he was still asleep, and he wasn’t using his super strength.  This was my only chance to escape.  But did I want to escape?  Would Caden hurt my friends or family?  I could tell that he wasn’t going to hurt me, but I couldn’t risk it.  It was now or never.  I tip toed into the bathroom and slowly locked the door.  My heart was beating so fast that I was worried that Caden could sense it.  I started to slowly build up my power.  I could feel my hands tingle and my fingers twitch.  I focused all of my energy to teleporting myself to Power Corp.  My eyes closed, and I released all of my energy.  I had never teleported myself before, so I wasn’t sure how it was supposed to feel.  I kept my eyes closed and prayed that it worked.  As I opened my eyes, my heart dropped.  I was standing one foot from a very angry, very awake Caden.  “Da*n it” I swore under my breath.

“I thought we had an understanding Carter!”  He fumed.  “I told you what would happen if you tried to escape!”

“You think that I’m just going to stand here like some damsel- in- distress?!  I am not some vulnerable girl that does whatever you say!  I take care of myself!”

“Yes I do know that, that’s why I like you.  It’s not a question of if you can take care on yourself, it’s a question of if you will take care of your family and friends.  If you do what I say, they don’t get hurt!  Now obviously, you don’t really want to uphold our deal!”  

“No!  Please don’t hurt them!  I’ll help you!  Please!”  I was paralyzed in fear.  I had been so selfish, all that was going through my mind was my own safety!  How could I be so stupid?  I had disregarded my family’s safety.  And now, the only way to repair what I had demolished would be to help Caden.  This was the ugly truth.  And I would have to deal with it, whether I liked it or not.

“Carter, baby,” he grabbed my waist as he pulled me close, “you need to learn that you can’t get away from me.”  He put his hand underneath my chin and lifted.  I was forced to look him in the eyes.  “How about we make a deal.”

I quickly nodded, willing to do almost anything to protect the people I love.

“Good,” he put his hands on my face and pulled me into a quick kiss. “Good, good, good.”  Caden is such a pig.  Urg.  He went on to explaining our deal, “I won’t hurt your father or any of your friends, so long as you do not try to escape, or hurt me.  If you help me, then the people you love will be save from me permanently.”  

“I’ll do it . . . Anything.  Just please don’t hurt them.”  I didn’t like this person that I was becoming.  I needed to make sure that I would not lose my dignity in the process.  That was the one promise that I made myself.

“Okay, well, since it’s about morning, how about you get dressed and I’ll make breakfast.  Your clothes are in the bathroom.” He slowly pulled his arms away from my waist, and grabbed my hand to pull me toward the bathroom.  “Everything you’ll need is already in there.  I’ll be in the kitchen.  It’s all the way down the hall on the left.  Come out and eat once you’re ready.  Then we can talk.”

I needed to take a shower.  Showers always calmed me down and allowed me to think.  I turned on the water as hot as it could go, and stepped in.  The scalding water woke me up and the reality of my situation began to sink in again.  My fears washed away and I was able to think again.  My emotional paralysis fell away, and I could finally breath.  I could do this.  I breathed deeply for another minute, just standing under the hot running water.