Prologue

Prologue

My dad always told me to follow one rule: never get caught.  Let me tell you, that’s easier said than done.  Especially when you have to hide yourself from all of your friends.  I guess that’s the small price you have to pay when you have powers.  Yeah, the super power kind.  You never know how people can react with a bomb-shell like that, and with someone like Caden chasing you, trust comes in small amounts.  My name is Carter and this is my story.

My life drastically changed eleven years ago: the first day of the new millennium.  I was 7 years old when I realized that I was “different”.  I was running down the street toward my bus stop when I fell.  It wasn’t that bad, but I scraped up my knee a good amount.  For a girl, I’ve always been relatively tough, so I got up and got on my bus without making a fuss over my bloody knee.  Once I sat in my secluded seat, I decided to examine the damage.  About a nickel sized piece of skin was hanging off of my knee, but that’s not the weird part.  All of a sudden, my skin started to regenerate right in front of my eyes. I felt no pain in my knee as it quickly healed itself.  I can’t even begin to describe the response I was feeling.  It was a mixture of embarrassment, nervousness, fear, anxiety, and surprise.  I mean really, I was a freak.  I knew from that moment that I couldn’t share this secret with anyone.  For a kid, I always read a lot.  My imagination scared me the most; what if some government experimenting agency found me?  The one thing that I knew is that my life would never be normal again.

It’s now 2011 and I have come to fully understand my situation.  There are other people out there like me- people with powers.  A small portion of the population, but I knew how to identify them.  It’s kind of like intuition, but everyone with powers can do it.  As it turns out, healing myself was not my actual “power”.  I was kind of like a leech, or maybe a monkey- if I meet someone with powers, I can copy them.  When I was 7, I must have ran into someone with a healing power.  Now, by the time that I’m 18, I’ve accumulated many other powers.  Learning to control them and understand them has taken me many years.  For all I know, there is only one other person like me: a true leech.  Caden.  He can collect powers too, but only after people with powers die.  He, of course, has found a way to speed up this process: murder.  And for some reason, he thinks that we are the same.  I don’t know him personally or have ever met him, but, let me tell you, he knows me.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys this is my first ever story on Wattpad, so I know it's kind of boring in the beginning.  Haha but I think it gets a lot better later on :)  So bear with me.  Thanks so much for reading!  Comment, Fan, and vote please!