37: Well of Worry

But as humble as my intentions were in the park that day to let them fall in love, watching Ollie's heart break little by little each day as Ben made no move to quell her worries pertaining to his feelings made me begin to question my decision.

Ben was elated. There was an actual hop in his step every now and then—a sight I never thought I'd see, I had to blink twice. He smiled and greeted everyone. I even caught him humming once.

But for Ollie... He never made a clear confession. He never did anything more than hold her hand. To be fair, they couldn't kiss given the bond... but the days ticked on without him even explaining why, with Ben only contributing to her worst fears regarding their relationship due to his distance...

And because of that, well, eventually I decided it was time to meddle again.

The first time I did was at one of Jade's dinner gatherings, and it was mostly to try to encourage him to do or say something. Though I won't lie... I did question backing out of my plan at one point because of Ollie... but I'm getting ahead here.

After he brought her along, introducing her to the group, giving her the rundown on what everyone was, we ate dinner mostly in joyous company—though Erica did through a fireball at my head. But I digress.

Then we migrated to the living room. Typical Ollie, she was in awe of the furniture and pillows floating in and out of the room as the living area transformed into a talking circle. Taking our seats—me making sure I was across from her so that I could look at her without guilt—Faye decided to call for a game of truth or dare. Knowing it was a good chance to give Ben the push he needed to ease Ollie's aching heart, I quickly agreed.

"Lukas," Faye said, "Truth or dare?"

Narrowing my eyes at her for picking me first and not wanting any confessions about Ollie to come out, I picked the easy option and said, "Dare."

"Take your shirt off now, boy!" she hollered.

With a roll of my eyes, and Ollie's giggle caressing my ears, I stripped off my shirt with barely any hesitancy. Though I could feel her emerald eyes on me.

I was scared to look at her. Terrified to see what I'd find in her stare. But eventually I turned my head, taking her in.

Gaze clouded with sadness as she took in my scars, I could see the questions stirring in her head about my past—the one she used to know.

When her eyes met mine, I knew I had to distract her from the pain she felt for me. 

So I winked.

But it was a wrong move.

Her cheeks immediately tinged with pink and her heart stammered, causing my own to falter. Ben shot me a wary glance for my reaction, as did some of the other vampires, and, not wanting anyone to think too hard about why my body reacted in such a way to her, I quickly said, "Ollie. Truth or dare?"

"Truth," she said hesitantly, sadness still oozing from her eyes as she glanced at my scars again... little did she know she used to have her own.

"Lame," I replied, trying to cheer her up with stupid banter again.

Rubbing my chin, I thought hard about what I could say... something that would distract her enough. Something that might make Ben want to make a move on her. 

Then it hit me. 

Ben was the jealous type, so if I made him jealous maybe he would—

"Tell us about your first kiss," I said, already knowing the answer.