Chapter 10 - Only Warning

Trent was giggling at what was on TV when Luke came back downstairs fully dressed. I smiled at him as he sat on the other side of me and put his arm behind the couch. Trent just looked at him and then back at the TV to continue his giggle fit.

I looked at my cell phone and it was already after 4:30. We had to get going. I got up and rushed the boys to make sure they were ready and in the truck. I didn't want to be late because I know Jess's mom is a bitch when you're late.

We arrived with 5 minutes to spare. Jess's mom was already there and the girls were ready. Jason saw that Luke drove and gave me a weird look but didn't press anything.

Luke, Jess, Jason, and I all sat in the living room with a few beers after the kid's left and it was mostly silent. I don't think Jason knew what to say. I was thinking about starting a conversation but I was at lack of better words. Something deep down inside me had worry about what Jason was going to think. I know Jess was going to be on my side either way. She wanted me happy and Trent to know his father.

I finished my first beer before everyone else and got up to get another. When I got back the TV was on and Jason was on his phone. Luke was on his phone as well and Jess was paying attention to the TV. When I sat down Jason sat up and looked at me.

"Cute picture of you guys in the morning." Jason said. I looked at him and smiled.
"First family breakfast together." Luke said. Jason just looked at him.

"Who made the breakfast?"

"Luke. Trent did help him." I said with a smile putting my hand on Luke's and squeezing it.

"What's going on with you two and Trent?" Jason asked putting his phone on the coffee table. He sat back and put his arm on the back of the couch watching us attentively.

"Well..." I said looking at Luke. He looked at me and smiled. I knew I was going to have to tell them everything. "Luke and I talked in the living room while Trent was taking his nap. We got through the whole talk with everything coming to surface on what happened and why. It was explained to where Luke was with Caroline, she left that day at Mardi Gras, and he forgot he was married due to him and her not really getting alone due to his career. He explained his feelings then, and up to now. I explained mine. We both realized that we still cared about each other all this time. It was the same amount of feeling we had before at Mardi Gras. He feels as if his divorce set him free but he never knew if we would find each other again. Then before I had a chance to explain Trent fully he came running out of his room due to a bad dream. I have no clue what went through his mind at those exact moments but Luke was frozen for quite some time while I calmed Trent down. He then realized by Trent's age that he was his. I understand the hurt and anger he then expressed." Jason quickly looked at Luke. "No Jason, he didn't disrespect or hurt me nor Trent." Jason just nodded and looked back at me."Everything was then explained. The reasoning of not calling back, of why he was unable to call me, and what's been going on with how I've raised Trent." I then smiled at Luke remembering Trent showing him his favorite song. "I told Luke to go ask Trent his favorite song. You remember what it is Jason?" I asked.

"Luke's song." Jason smirked. I nodded and smiled. I looked at Luke to explain it.

"Chevelle here told me to go ask Trent about the song. I did and when he turned it on. It shocked me. I think I more shocked him when I started singing along with him. You should have seen the look in his eye. It was like a sparkle in a diamond on a bright sun shiny day." Luke smiled and took a sip of his beer. "When he pointed at me and turned around he looked at her and said my name. Then she explained I was more than just Luke Bryan. I was his dad. He called me daddy." Luke said with a twinkle in his eye and a smile. "He ran and jumped in my arms. That feeling was something I never experienced before. My emotions were so overwhelming. The first hug I ever shared with my son. At that moment I knew I couldn't leave and would never want to. I want to stay in his life for as long as I live. After the hug all three of us shared I couldn't help but stick around and play with him. I saw every movement he did and his smiles and giggles. That just warmed my heart. I now know what my sister and you have talked about when you talk about the unconditional love a child has. The love I've had pent up for Chevelle went in 10 fold. I see we created a child out of not a night of lust, and booze, but it was probably that night on the rooftop." Luke looked over to me and smiled. "I honestly do love your sister. I never stopped and never will. I want to be in her life and our son's life." Luke smiled.