Chapter 16: Secrets Untold

"You lied to me."

"What?" Cassandra looked up. It had been a couple hours since Cassandra rescued Rapunzel. Cassandra had brought Rapunzel to a stream and she bandaged up all the wounds she could find.

"You lied to me," Rapunzel repeated. "You promised me that you were going to be fine."

Cassandra wrung out the rag she was using to clean Rapunzel's wounds. "It's not like I knew that there was going to be an abush." She responded sarcastically without looking up. Wrong move.

"I thought you died. I begged to come with you and-"

"And what?" Cassandra snapped her head up. "If you went with me, what do you think would've happened? We'd both be put in danger nonetheless."

"But at least we'd be together-"

"Together in a ravine full of nearly 100 men with no way out. How does that sound smart to you?" Cassandra tried to grab Rapunzel's arm to bandage it but she ripped it away from her grasp.

"It would've been better than to think you were dead!"

"Rapunzel-"

"No, no! You do not get to 'Rapunzel' me! I was dragged halfway across the world thinking that you were dead and all you can do is give excuses!"

"I'm not giving excuses-"

"You are! And you know what doesn't add up?" Rapunzel laughed bitterly. "The fact that there's something you're keeping from me!"

"I'm not keeping anything from you-"

"Don't lie to me, Cassandra! I don't care if you're trying to protect me or stop me from doing something stupid, but do not lie to me! I've been lied to by everyone else in my life, I don't want to start second-guessing my trust for you either!"

"Look, I know you're upset but-"

"Upset?" Rapunzel laughed bitterly a second time. "Cassandra, I'm not just upset, I'm furious. You know, I thought that you would know better; know better than not to lie to me, know better than to make promises you couldn't keep, know better than not to leave me thinking you were dead for two weeks! Two weeks of thinking I lost you, two dreadful weeks of thinking I would never see you again, two weeks of instantaneous suffering! And I'm not talking about everything else that happened! That's all just a bonus!" Rapunzel seethed.

"I'm sorry, Raps, but-"

"And that's all you're gonna say? You're sorry? Are you serious? You're keeping something from me, after everything we've been through together, and all you can say is sorry? You made me believe that you were dead after you made a promise that you would be fine and all you can say is sorry? You know how much promises mean to me!"

"It's not like I knew Rapunzel! I wouldn't have made it if I didn't think I could've kept it! Besides, I didn't break the promise, because I'm still alive!"

"Ugh! You're missing the point!"

"I don't even know why you're mad at me-"

"You don't know.." Rapunzel said slowly in disbelief. "Why I'm mad at you? Are you kidding me? Are you really this dense??"

"Excuse me?? You don't get to-"

"Don't tell me what I can or cannot do! I have every damn right to be mad at you! God, you can be so infuriating sometimes!" Rapunzel said, running her hands up her face and through her hair.

"Then why do you even put up with me?!"

"Because I love you, you idiot!" The forest got quiet. Rapunzel wrapped her arms around herself, breathing roughly. "I was so scared. So scared that I lost you. E-Everything just went dark and.. I didn't know if I would ever see you again.. those two weeks? They felt like a lifetime. I didn't know if you were hurt, if you were dead, if you were dying alone.. all I knew was that I would never see you again. Do... D-Do you even know what that's like?"