Chapter 24 (Epilogue)

1 year later

Leaning back in my office chair I stretch my arms above me with a groan. It's no wonder my eyes are feeling weird from staring at the screen when the clock confirms I have been working on this new event plan for just over three hours. It has been a long time since I have been so thoroughly absorbed by my work. 

Standing, I make my way to the window and look out. The sky is a murky grey and has been threatening snow most of the day. After sending the others home early to ensure they weren't stranded in the middle of London if it did start to snow, I planned to just get a little bit of work done before I headed back.

Considering I work out of the office in the Astoria most days now, it was a nice change of scene to be back here again. Apparently the change of view had revitalised my productive side from the amount I had achieved.

That being said the sky was darkening more and more by the minute and, unwilling to risk it any longer, I close down my computer and lock up, hurrying quickly down the road to the station. 

It's bitterly cold and I tuck my neck down as far into my scarf as I can, practically disappearing.  It's busy, the platform heaving with stressed out shoppers and their hundreds of bags amid tired workers like me just looking forward to getting home. To top it all, with just two minutes until my train a steady drizzle starts. Just enough to ensure I am completely soaked by the time my train arrives. 

It's standing room only and I shuffle awkwardly down inside the carriage, my swollen belly only just squeezing in. I give it a gentle rub through my coat. Not that I think she can feel it but it has been helping me to feel more connected with her.

Little Ada, short for Adaline. Our surprise baby and yet she had fast become my absolute world. Considering I hadn't even planned to have children, or even felt like I had any maternal instinct, I was surprised by how attached I became to the little parasite after I saw her on the screen. The sickness early on had been absolutely horrific and I regularly told Tommy it was all his fault and he did this to me.

However once that passed and I started to enjoy the pregnancy I felt the attachment building. A bond that gave me the most intense love I had ever felt for someone I hadn't even met.

Tommy was absolutely overjoyed of course and had been waiting on me hand and foot. Patiently dealing with the emotional outbursts and middle of the night carb cravings. The biggest one had been pasta and we were currently getting through industrial quantities of it. Tommy joked they Ada must have shares in some pasta manufacturer or something.

"Did you want this seat?" A slightly muffled voice asked and I peered around my bump. 

"That would be lovely, thank you."

The pretty dark haired journalist from the train the night I first slept with Tommy stares back. "I know you." She says slowly as she vacates the seat and I gratefully sink into it, "You're the girl from the train." She snaps her fingers as the memory comes back.

"I am," I confirm laughing, "I don't think I ever properly thanked you for being so nice to me. So thank you."

She smiles, "It's nothing. I'm assuming you worked things out in the end?" 

Her nod towards my bump has me cradling it again, "We did and this little lady is the result." 

"I'm so happy things worked out for you," She glances out of the window, "This is me. I suppose I might see you around." 

Before I can respond she's darting off between the people and disappears from view.

I smile and glance out into the darkness, realising we are now just two stops from Wynford and I pop Tommy a text.