Chapter 3

Wynford is exactly as I remember. The same cobblestone streets lined with cute houses painted in varying tasteful colours. The bakery on the corner is still there. We used to go after school every Friday to buy a gingerbread man. I would always stay with my Aunt whilst I waited for Mum to finish work.

She was never keen on all the sugar consumption but she knew how much fun we had so she wouldn't say anything. I slow down as I pass The Astoria and I feel like my heart stops for a moment. The lights are out on the famous sign and cracks stretch like a spiders webs through the brick work.

Two windows are smashed and rubbish is piled up by the door. It doesn't look magical anymore. It doesn't look loved and it certainly doesn't look like the venue I dreamt of turning it into.

With cars behind me I can't stop long outside it and quickly turn right down a small one-way street into the church car park.

Tommy is already there, stood outside his car and watching me approach. I can tell he is searching my expression for the shock at seeing a once beloved building its current state of disrepair. He already knew, I realise.

I give him a tight smile and pull my car into the space alongside his. Deciding to forgo the heels this time I climb out in my flats and grab my phone from the cubby on the door and tuck it into my handbag.

"Did you get a look at it?" Tommy asks.

"Yes, certainly does need a little more work than I first realised." I say, marching by him and back towards the street.

In two long legged strides he has caught up and is alongside me again. "Are you ok?"

"Fine, let's get in there before the light fades." I reach into my purse and clutch the keys from the solicitor.

They still have the paper tag attached confirming what they are for. I'll have to move them to my normal keyring when I get home.

"I'm sorry I didn't say anything. I wasn't sure if you already knew." Tommy places a comforting hand on my shoulder.

I shrug it off and give him my boss voice, "You weren't to know. Thank you for the concern, but I am fine. Let's just get a look at it."

He gives me a doubtful look but doesn't try to say anything else.

It looks even worse up close I realise. The painted walls are peeling and there's a strange damp mark under the sign. I take it in for a moment and then sigh and push my key into the lock.

It surprises me by opening on the first try but then the door catches on something behind it and won't open more than a couple of inches.

"Allow me." Tommy gives me a winning smile and then barges it with his arm and forces it the rest of the way.

I tut as though I'm unimpressed by his brute force. I certainly could have managed it all myself and probably with less of the dramatics too.

Poking my head around, I discover the pile of letters and leaflets that had been blocking our way and quickly pick them up before taking in the room. The gold and green floral carpet is faded and worn, covered in a thick layer of dirt and grime.

Once rich deep red walls have seen better days and are stained with god knows what. Tilting my head up to the ceiling I am relieved to see the pretty gold, art deco moulding are still there and look in a semi-good state of repair in comparison to the rest of it.

The dark wood tables and chair I remember are stacked against one wall and covered in sheets. It all just looks like it has seen better days.

I take a deep breath before turning my attention to the stairs on either side of a small reception area. They are just as ornate as I remember and I find myself heading over to them. I don't know if Tommy follows. In all honesty it feels as though I am the only one here, lost in the quiet with the distant hum of traffic outside.