The Test

Once, Room Number 19 was opened, the news spread like jungle fire. A foreigner was murdered. Guests at hotel started to leave one by one. No one wanted to stay at a place where their life was under an unknown threat.

In the evening, Satoru sat and watched TV while Y/N dealt with some files. The headline on a news channel read, "A Peruvian Businessman was TORTURED and shot dead." Satoru looked at the picture and immediately identified the man. "Y/N, isn't he the same man?" he asked.

"Didn't get you," she said.

"The man who was trying to hit on you that night, in the club."

She narrowed her eyes. "Yes, you're right, it's him." She settled herself on the couch beside him and watched the news. It made her laugh internally as she won her first battle.

A news reporter was reporting live from outside of the hotel. 'HOTEL BLACKBERRY' glowed in different colours.

Satoru looked at Y/N and she returned his look. "Isn't it that hotel?" he asked.

"Yes."

They looked at the TV again. The reporter did a brief interview with a cop coming out of the hotel.

"Sir, can you tell us anything about the situation?" he asked.

"It's quite complicated. The door was locked and so were the windows. We found a pair of gloves, a screwdriver, a handgun and a piece of paper stuck on the wall. Everything indicates that it's a murder but we are trying to figure out about how did the murderer enter the locked room."

"Sir, how long will it take to catch the killer?"

"We are trying our best-"

Y/N changed the channel. Satoru shot a confused look. "This is so boring, let's watch something else," she pouted.

"As you wish."

"What's the time?"

He looked at his watch and replied, "10:48."

"Don't you want to go back home?"

"No," he winked.

"I'm never letting you stay with me. Get out."

"Please, let me stay for a while. I'll go after an hour."

"But I have to sleep."

"Then let's sleep tog-"

Y/N's phone rang. She checked the caller ID, "Candice" and answered it. "Yeah I watched... I know... No, why would I?... Relax, it's okay... Yeah... See you tomorrow."

"All good?" Satoru asked.

"She is terrified by today's news. The man was her uncle."

"Hmm. Must be hard for her."

Y/N nodded.

"Tell me Y/N, did you know him?"

"No, I met him for the first time that night."

"Are you the murderer?" he joked.

"What? Stop talking nonsense," she was irritated.

"Okay, I'm just teasing you. Relax, little girl."

"Want some coffee?"

"How can I deny?"

She got up and headed to the kitchen. Her doorbell rang. She returned to the living room to open the door but Satoru already opened it. Jane stood in the doorway and looked like someone sucked life out of her.

"What's up Jane?" Satoru asked. Y/N glanced at him and he had his blindfold on, which was off moments ago. 'He's pretty fast at it,' Y/N thought.

"Did you see the news?" Jane asked.