Chapter 44 - The Empire's Heroes

It took a while for me to calm myself down.

It was a bit different from the novel. No big deal. A lot of things already didn't follow the novel plot.

So what?

It didn't have anything to do with me.

Soon after that, the Emperor and the rest of the Imperial family arrived. So I stopped thinking about it altogether.

After a short but gallant speech from Emperor George Helios the Third, the victory medal award ceremony will be held.

I'm planning to slip away during the intermission. I'm waiting for the right time to quietly exit the hall and go back home.

So, after excusing myself from my mother who was talking to her friends, I cautiously walked to the corner of the banquet hall, slowly heading toward the entrance.

"There you are, Lyssa."

Gregory suddenly showed up from behind. Father was with him, too.

"Gosh, you surprised me, Greg."

I placed my hand on my chest.

"What are you doing? Are you thinking of secretly escaping and going home?"

Urgh, I hate it when Greg hit the nail so accurately.

"Huh? What are you talking about? No way."

I averted my gaze and smiled awkwardly.

"I just wanted to get some fresh air. I feel stuffy."

I explained.

It wasn't really a lie. I really need to get out of here because I'm feeling quite suffocated being in the same room with a certain someone.

Even though the size of the room, er, the hall, was so enormous that it took me a while to get to where I am now from the center.

"Don't make excuses. I know what you're up to, Lyssa."

Greg rolled his eyes.

"Come with me."

Greg held my arm and gently pulled me closer to him.

"Eh? why?"

I pouted.

"I don't wanna. I'll stay with Father."

I looked at my father with pleading eyes.

"Allyssa, stay with Gregory until the party's over. You can do at least that, right?

Father tapped my shoulder gently and walked away with an emotionless expression.

Uuu... My pleading eyes didn't work. I should've called him Daddy.

If I had no choice but stay, I want to stay near my mother. Staying near Greg means...

"I can't sit with you! I thought you're sitting with all those who're receiving the Heroes of Empire's medal?"

"Yeah, I made a special arrangement for an extra seat for you."

Greg nonchalantly replied.

I wanted to tell him off that it is impossible but I'm reminded of how he managed to persuade my imperial cousin, Crown Prince Julius to help him write a letter to the Magic Tower master.

"You're unbelievable!!"

I sighed.

Greg chuckled and led me to our seats.