Chapter 21 - The forgotten confession

The Emperor had just given his opening speech. He ended it by giving a toast for Avery.

Woah. I didn't know that Avery had the biggest role in solving the recent year-long drought and famine crisis of the Seros region in the southwest of the Helios Empire. And there were some other worthy accomplishments of his mentioned by the Emperor.

No wonder he can become a Royal Scholar at such a young age!

Royal Scholar was something like an imperial family advisor, one of the highest positions in the imperial court. It was an important post that was based on merits alone, with nothing to do with family background, gender, and age. Typically, a Royal Scholar was some professor-like old man who usually came from a commoner or lower noble class background.

It was rare for an heir of a Duke family to seek this position since he is guaranteed to have a seat in the imperial court once he succeeds the Duke position.

To achieve so much with his own ability, he really is a genius!

Now, it was Avery's turn to give a speech.

He took out a pair of glasses from his chest pocket and wore them, before reading his prepared speech.

Uwuuuu... My heart just skipped a beat.

The grown-up Avery without the glasses was cool. But Avery wearing glasses was cooler!

I don't remember anything about his speech, though.

However, I can feel unpleasant stares directed at me as I stared at Avery, originating from the table next to us, where the rest of the high-ranking noble sons and daughters were seated.

After the applause, the banquet feast officially started. The Emperor and his consorts left shortly after, and the people were free to mingle around.

It was mostly political, though.

My parents were surrounded by their acquaintances and people who were trying to gain their favor.

Even Lucas was caught up in a conversation with the old Count Gladio, the former Imperial Army Supreme Commander.

Aristocrats young and old swarmed the crown prince Julius and princess Juliana. Avery was having a serious conversation with some imperial court members. Greg and Emilia must've run off somewhere together. I'm sure of it since the only times when Greg would leave my side in social gatherings are when Emilia was involved.

So, I was left alone.

Tsk. So much for a long-awaited childhood friends reunion, huh?

Since I wasn't in the mood to greet people, I took a glass of white wine and went to the empty terrace.

Well, we did had some catching up earlier while enjoying the dinner, if you considered few minutes of idle chatting as catching up.

Hah.

It seemed that I was the only one who had not seen Avery Divan in years.

I thought being a student of the Royal Academy and working at the imperial palace straight after graduating made Avery too busy to contact any one of us. So, I thought we naturally drifted apart.

By 'we' I mean all of us somehow lost contact with Avery. But, no. It was just me.

Well, I know I was a bit mean to him five years ago. But still...

"Ah, Avery and Greg often assist me with my duty. We always see each other to the point I got sick of looking at their faces. Don't feel bad, cousin sister."