Chapter 14 - The Stars Again

"So you really think they're going to be a pair?"

"I don't know honestly. I mean, she seems good for him."

Tommy hummed over the phone. Y/N smiled unwillingly. I have a feeling that even if I do end up making myself crush on Matias, this one isn't going to go away for a while.

"Well I trust your judgment. Anything I can do to help?"

"Know anything about southern people from the 2020s?" Y/N joked. Tommy said nothing. Y/N laughed and continued, "Yeah, I didn't really think so!"

"Well if they're anything like you I know they're wonderful," Tommy assured. Y/N buried their head in their hands. I hate crushes. I hate butterflies. They replayed his last words and another swarm taunted them. But the feeling is really fun...alright. Crush for fun. I can do that.

"Really now?" Y/N teased.

"I MEAN - agh, you won't let me take that back, I don't even know why I started to try." Tommy sighed.

TOMMY POV

Everything I say just sounds cheesy. I guess I should embrace it though? Part of me says forget it, they're in the past, and another says keep going. I f!cking hate crushes.

"If you speak I'm not letting it go. You are never safe, hah!" Tommy rolled his eyes at their antics but still smiled.

"Yeah yeah whatever. So what're you planning to do about Th...Th...the people?"

"Theo and Anna," Y/N supplied. "Well, I'll probably just kinda smoosh them together slowly. She asked for Theo's number but I told her to get it herself. I mean I only just got his number so - "

"You have his number?" Tommy asked.

"Yeah, why?"

Tommy leaned his head back. Stop it, me. They can have friends. Stop being a f!cking jealous dipsh!t. "Was just curious. Who was the other guy again?" Like I'd forget his name.

Stupid Matias.

"You mean Matias?"

"Mhmm," Tommy replied, voice tight. "He alright?"

"Yeah, he's kinda like you. Funny, annoying, sweet, jerky."

"I see." Tommy threw an arm over his face. "Awesome."

"Are you okay Tommy?"

"What? Why?" Tommy sat up and glanced at his phone.

"Your voice went all funny - nevermind. Probably just imagined it."

"Nah, you didn't. I just needed to cough but I'm good now." Why do I keep saying minor lies to save my own !ss, if it even needs to be saved. I don't need to be jealous of Theo, don't need to be jealous of Matias, just need to be myself.

"Oh okay. But yeah Matias is cool."

"I saw him on the site, he seemed nice," Tommy amended.

"Already talking about us as if we're dead, huh?" Y/N laughed. Tommy shifted and bit on his tongue.

"Sorry, I didn't mean it like that. I guess it's still weird to talk about? Past and present are all mixed up."

"I understand. I keep having to remind myself that you're not alive yet. Keep myself in my place."

Keep themself in their place? That could mean they... Tommy sat up straighter and opened his mouth to ask but nothing came out. "I do too. It's so weird to talk to you right now and know your grave is out there somewhere." He heard Y/N huff and the noises of their phone being picked up.