Chapter 12 - Affirmation

(A/N: *takes off glasses* *wipes them* *puts them back on* WOAH! IS THE STORY BACK? No. Sadly, I haven't written any of the chapters I need to yet, this has just been sitting in my drafts. Since January 25, 2022...yeah, I'm totally on top of my schedule lol

In other news, it's my birthday today, so thought I'd try and get some motivation from a random chapter post! I mean it won't happen but I can hope :P enjoy, and y'all have a WONDERFUL day, afternoon, or night! <3)

(A/N:) edit, what would y'all think about me posting a book where I just kinda give some prompts that I don't wanna finish for your inspiration? I dunno, lemme know tho pls :D)

Y/N tied the apron behind their back, rubbing their eyes to wipe away the random spot of sleepiness. Georgia, Wayland, and Dennis were there, but Matias and Theo were gone. Sylvie was another person they liked hanging out with, but Sylvie wouldn't be there for another two hours. Y/N knew Wayland the best out of those three, Dennis was a wild card, and Georgia...well, she was named after another state and she buys too many cigarettes.

Y/N stepped out to the main area at 9:57, three minutes before their shift started.

"Hello Y/N," Wayland greeted.

"Hello." Wayland felt like a sort of father figure - or at least a distant uncle who wanted to make sure you were okay but didn't know how to talk to you.

For two hours, that was all the conversation Y/N participated in, until they saw Sylvie get out of her car through the windows and head to the back.

"I'm going to stock up some stuff with Sylvie," Y/N commented. Wayland waved in acknowledgement. Dennis kept talking about football, and Y/N doubted he even knew they were there. They went to meet Sylvie, who was tying her own apron when Y/N walked in.

"Oh, Y/N!" Sylvie finished the knot and went over to hug Y/N, the faint smell of cigarettes wafting over Y/N. "I didn't realize you were here!"

"Yep! I forgot to tell you, I'm sorry," Y/N apologized.

"How's work been since I left?" she asked.

"Oh, it's been alright. Matias and Theo 'took care of me', Wayland's said a bit."

Sylvie sighed. "I wish Dennis and Georgia would try to talk to you. Even just a tad. Oh well, their loss. I get to keep such a wonderful person all to myself! Hah!" Y/N smiled at Sylvie as she adjusted her apron. If Wayland was a distant uncle, Sylvie was the best mother in the world. "Are they on register?"

"Mhmm! Is it okay if you stock with me? I don't wanna do it by myself."

"Of course!" Sylvie responded happily, beaming. "I want you to fill me in on anything that happened while I was on break."

"Hmm, well, I've gotten closer to Theo," Y/N chatted as they both headed to where some of the unstocked boxes were. They took some items out while saying, "He has this really cute dog called Ice Cream! I'll get a picture for you."

"Ice Cream sounds adorable. Maybe I can get closer to Theo as well. When does he work next?"

"Well, I know he comes in tomorrow, but I don't know what time. I'll ask." Y/N pulled out their phone and swiped to the 'T' contacts. They paused when they saw Tommy's, but shut off their phone because it was the only 'T' contact. "I forgot, I don't have his number." They looked up to see Sylvie raising a teasing eyebrow. "What is it?"

"You smiled," she said simply. "I know that smile. I've seen it plenty, on many different people. Who were you thinking about?"

"No one," Y/N replied quickly - Too quickly. Way to be smooth, me. I don't even like like him, why am I being so twitchy?