Chapter 15

A continuous stream of knocks sounded through my house on Thursday night. I heard Danny groan and then the clunk of his sneakers on our hard wood floor in the direction of the door. I heard muffled talking and then Danny called my name. 

He entered my room with a confused look on his face. "Uh, there are 3 British dudes downstairs looking for you. Did you like pay them to marry you on some weird dating website?" 

I laughed "Danny, just because you're cursed with an ugly face doesn't mean I am not attractive to guys" I said flipping my hair dramatically and walking downstairs. 

As I neared the bottom of the stairs my worst nightmare came true. She was there. 'No time to retreat now' I told myself as I met eyes with James and he grinned. 

"I thought you guys were coming later this week" I said as I got to the bottom. 

James nodded looking me up and down "That explains why you look like a hobo."

I gasped looking down at my clothes. I was wearing some sweats with my school logo on them and a baggy LA Clippers sweatshirt. 

The girl chuckled lightly as I tried to hide my embarrassment. 

"Well, Marcie said to meet her here...but I don't se-" James started but was interrupted by the sound of my front door knob wiggling back and forth. 

He walked over and looked through the peep hole. "Speak of the locks" he said opening the door as Marcie jumped into his arms. 

The unnamed girl 'awed' and smiled. I crossed my arms and tried to avoid looking at Tris or Brad. 

"Oh, hi," The girl finally said walking over to me "I'm Julianna." 

I smiled and shook her hand "Hi, I'm Avery."

I could feel Tristan looking at me as I tried to keep my gaze on Julianna. "Nice to meet you and that's a really pretty name" Julianna said gleaming. God damn. Of course this gorgeous girl would be an angel on top of all of her pretty! Just my luck that Bradley would be dating this perfect human being. 

After James and Marcie rekindled their long forgotten love, we decided to find them a place to sleep. I guess Marcie had told them they could stay with me, but she forgot to inform me I was even having them stay at my house. 

There seemed to be enough space in the basement for all 5 of them. Julianna, James, Marcie, Brad, and Tris. Marcie was supposed to come over for a sleep over this weekend so it was close enough. 

"So, are we just skipping school?" I asked as I got blankets out for them.

Brad put a elbow on my shoulder "Listen, you just gotta' let go. We came here to have fun and that means having you come along" he said with a smile. 

I felt my cheeks burn and wondered if Julianna could hear from where she was sitting by Marcie. They seemed to be having an in depth conversation so I wasn't too worried. 

They had stacked their guitars in the corner of the basement to give us more space, but the conversations were dwindling so I found it fit to break one out. I grabbed Brad's guitar and placed 2 fingers on the first 2 chords and strummed. It squeaked and I winced at the sound. 

Brad laughed "Give me that! You've probably never touched a guitar" he said grabbing the guitar from my hands. 

He put it on his knee as he sat by me on the ground. He positioned his fingers on the neck of the guitar and strummed "See, I am experienced." 

I huffed "I have experience, just not in music."

"Woah there Avery, Brad is taken" James said winking at me. 

I gasped "That's not what I meant!" I said giggling. 

Julianna smiled and came over to sit on Brad's lap. I decided it would be best to go into the kitchen to get some water, seeing as everyone was coupled up downstairs. As I closed the door I heard a grunt. The door flung open to show an unhappy Tristan rubbing his nose. 

I covered my mouth with my hand "Oh Tris I'm sorry," I said holding out my hand for him "I thought you were staying down there."

"Down where everyone's making out? No thanks" he said ignoring my hand and walking past me. 

I followed him into the kitchen and sat on the counter as I grabbed a glass from the top shelf "So, how was life without me?" I asked jumping off the counter and opening the fridge.

Tristan snickered "Well I bet Nathan misses you."

I rolled my eyes and put the gallon of milk on the counter as I twisted the top off "I don't even like him Tris!" 

I heard feet on the stairs as they made their way into the kitchen, my mother. She rubber her eyes as she wrapped her robe around her a bit more. She squinted to see without her glasses on. "Ave?" she questioned.

I nodded "Yeah, it's me I was just getting a drink."

She nodded "Uh, is that Dan? Dan, why did you dye your hair blonde?" my mom asked ruffling Tristan's hair.

I laughed "Yeah Danny, I told you it looked stupid." 

Tris played along "I don't know what I was thinking really..." he said in an accent that sounded like a demented version of a California accent. 

"Oh, Dan Dan I think you're coming down with a cold. Avie, make sure he takes some medicine, okay?" she said patting my hands. I nodded as she toddled back up the stairs.

I chuckled as the bedroom door upstairs finally closed. "Who's Danny? Is he your new boyfriend?" Tris asked crossing his arms.

I burst into laughter "Trissykinz, Danny is my brother."

Tris blushed and cleared his throat "I mean..." he cleared his throat again "I was just curious."

I opened my arms and walked towards him "Come on Trissykinz, give Avie a hug" I said as I neared him.

He softened and wrapped his arms around me, leaning his head on top of mine.