Chapter 5: Shopping

-----

Today's chapter is all about self-love. I want you to know your worth and feel confident in yourself. As a fresh graduate, I save up as much money as I possibly can while I'm still searching for a job. Maybe you do the same too?! Rather eat at a low cost but not delicious restaurant instead of a decent restaurant with a slightly higher pricing range. I understand but it's good to treat yourself once in a while. Especially in times like this, your happiness is what's most important. spend some money on yourself, go and buy that pair of shoes you've been eying for a long time, or that newly released book by your favourite author. I want you to give yourself a gift, something you want and something you would enjoy having.

Of course, don't buy things you can't afford. Moderation is key :)

- Ten

-----

Kun wrinkled his nose at the latest update, exiting the eBook app and tapping into messages. Seeing Yang Yang's contact at the top of the list, right below Doyoung's (Kun had texted to ask why his underwear was in Kun's laundry basket), Kun hesitated for a second. Typing a quick message, Kun hit the send button before he started overthinking anything.

"Kun, I thought you would've left by now." Kun's boss, Mr Moon was locking his office door, seemingly going somewhere. "Oh, yes. I was just about to." Kun gestured at his half-packed bag. The rest of the day off was a great deal, but Kun didn't really know how to spend it. "I see, well enjoy your day." Kun waved at the man who hurriedly entered the lift, flinching when his phone rang at a new notification. Fumbling with his phone, Kun's charming smile appeared on his face at the message. Shoving everything in his bag eagerly, he walked towards his car with a little bounce in his step.

"Yang Yang!" The said boy waved happily at him, thrusting his phone in his pocket. "did you wait long?" Yang Yang shook his head. "Nope, I just got here. Let's go?" Kun nodded happily. They started off in the first clothing store they laid their eyes on, Yang Yang throwing clothes into Kun's arm. "You'll look good in a t-shirt and denim jacket." He had commented, adding another pair of jeans to the pile. "Who am I kidding, I'm sure you can pull off anything." Kun chuckled at the compliment, shifting the clothes in his arms to get a better grip as the hoodie Yang Yang had seen at the front of the shop was starting to fall. "Yang, I'm not planning to spend too much money."

"So I need to make sure we buy the perfect fit for you."

Kun had lost count of how many times he had exited and reentered the changing room, each time coming out with a different set of clothes on. Yang Yang was a wonderful audience (to model for), giving his honest opinion on things he didn't like but still added complements at the same time. They rolled off his tongue so easily, sometimes Kun would even miss them. In the end, Kun bought a dark blue — Yang Yang kept saying it was oxford blue, whatever that was — button-down shirt, a pair of dark blue jeans, a white cotton jacket that had a red line going down the edges and a brown belt.

Kun was already drained from any energy he had left, letting Yang Yang buy him a cup of juice (he insisted), both of them sitting on a nearby bench. If only Kun knew, this was just the start of the long ride he was getting on.

Yang Yang pulled him to at least ten different shops in that mall. Lucky for Kun and his wallet, they left most of them empty-handed. Either the items didn't fit Yang Yang's liking or Kun's budget. Kun was thankful for his self-control when Yang Yang tried to convince him to buy a Piaget watch because, according to Yang Yang, every accountant has a heavily expensive watch to brag about. They ended the day at an ice cream stand at the side of the road, Yang Yang treating Kun, again, because Kun was pretty sure he was broke now.

"I think you used up all my money for this month." Yang Yang grinned cheekily, handing a cone to Kun. "Don't you feel good?" "Not really, my wallet is crying, and so am I." Yang Yang rubbed Kun's shoulder. "You'll feel happy once you wear the clothes. Then, you'll thank me." Kun raised an eyebrow, highly doubting that. "You remind me of someone." Yang yang tilted his head cutely to catch a bit of ice cream which was dripping down the cone. "Who?"

"An old friend. We don't talk much nowadays."

'What, did he spend all your money like me?"

"Yes, but believe it or not, we only visited one shop." Yang Yang laughed out loud, almost dropping his ice cream. "What did he make you buy? A car?" Kun chuckled at the wild guess. "Something like that."

-----

"Come on, it'll make you look so cool!" Kun kept quiet, his eyebrow arching to say that he heeded to say more to convince him.

"And, we'll be able to get around easily."

Silence.

"Kun, please~"

"No, I am not buying a motorbike. Now let's go back to the dorm, I've got an essay to write." Kun pulled his arm away, walking out of the building.

"Please, Kun. I'll split the money with you when I get my salary."

"We both know you aren't going to do that. No, let's leave."

"Kun~~" Kun made a mistake at looking at the boy. It was those eyes, the way that they looked at him, all round a big. It made Kun's heart melt. So he cleared his throat, staring straight ahead at the bus stop. "D-Don't use the look on me."

The boy tugged his sleeve, shaking his arm lightly. Kun gulped, squeezing his eyes shut.

"Fine."

-----

Kun grimaced at the memory, shuddering a bit when he remembered the scolding he had received from his parents for the reckless spending.

Yang Yang hooked their arms together, pulling him towards the lake. "I heard someone was going to put fireworks tonight." Kun peered up at the sky, which was slowly turning dark, tiny stars slowly becoming visible in the sky. The crescent moon could be seen clearly, making the sky look like a whole painting.

"This feels like a date, don't you think?"

Kun looked over at Yang Yang, who was watching the people crowd around the lake, sitting down on the green grass. "Yeah, a bit." Yang Yang smiled, winking at Kun. Kun was glad, maybe he could move on. Yang Yang seemed lovely. But why did it feel so wrong?