Chapter 7

When Genevieve reached the bottom of the stairs, she was alone. The Duchess had left her to talk with some older ladies who looked rather snobby. Genevieve stood there, feeling like a bump on a log, as people still stared at her.

It was just as she was about to turn and run back up the stairs that she was saved by a tap on her shoulder.

Turning, she saw a handsome blonde man with dimples and a nicely tailored suit.

"Care to dance?" He asked her in a deep voice.

He nodded quickly and took his offered hand, forgetting for a moment that she did not know how to dance.

When thu reached the dance floor, she stopped suddenly and the man turned in surprise.

"Whatever is the matter?"

She swallowed. "I do not know how to dance," she said in shame.

He chuckled and tugged on her hand gently. She allowed herself to be led, but still felt nervous and slightly embarrassed. As soon as they reached the dance floor, he pulled her into his arms and smiled at her sweetly.

She couldn't help but return the smile and then gasped as he lifted her up, settling her small feet on top of his large boots. The song began and he twirled them around the floor, Genevieve laughing the whole time.

When the song was over, he settled her back on her feet and was about to ask for another dance when a rough hand tapped him on the shoulder and he stepped back quickly.

"Excuse me," Lord Blackburn's deep voice rang out.

Genevieve stood in shock as the blonde man smiled apologetically and moved into the crowd. Lord Blackburn turned to Genevieve and put his hand out. She took it slowly and realized that she didn't tell him she couldn't dance.

The song began and he set off, Genevieve stumbling a little at first before she somewhere recognized the dance and began to do all of the steps expertly. He looked at her in shock and they moved gracefully around the floor, the other couples watching them with wide eyes. Lord Blackburn was a divine dancer and Genevieve shivered as he pulled her closer, tightening his arm around her waist. As the song ended, he twirled her and dipped her, ending with her leant back over his arm and her chest heaving.

He pulled her up suddenly and looked into her gleaming blue eyes.

"Thank you for the dance, my lord."

"William," he said quietly.

"What?" She asked confused

"Please call me William."

Genevieve's heart stirred and she felt herself become giddy.

"Okay, William."

Lord Blackburn graced her with a smile and led her off of the dance floor, and to the garden. They walked together, side by side, not saying anything, but they didn't need to. The moment was perfect already.