Chapter 2

William watched the girl as she slept restlessly. She tossed fitfully and called out many times for a lad named Henry, and her mother. He pondered this, as he knew her mother had died, but he knew nothing of this Henry.

It had been a good hour that he had been sitting there, and he knew he had things to attend to, but he couldn't bring himself to leave. For whatever reason, he felt protective of the small girl.

She started to stir and he stood, leaving quickly lest she see him. He paused outside the door and listened to her large yawn, smiling a minuscule smile until he heard her accompanying cough and frowned. He decided to call for the doctor, as it was obvious that Greta's home remedies were not working fast enough.

The party had been an atrocious affair; William had drink-en too much and had to suffer through the small talk and standing by Julianne's side the entire night. Julianne was a striking blond, with large blue eyes and full pouted lips that could get er whatever she wanted. This is how she entered into the engagement with Lord Blackburn. They had been friends as children, but at her first ball of last season, she had set her sights on William, and he fell captive under her spell. A year later, and William began to realize what he had gotten himself into. Julianne was a cruel, cunning woman, who would stop at nothing to get what she desired. she was also a terrible flirt. He realized that in a sense, they were very alike, but in a wife, he did not want Julianne's qualities.

He wanted a woman who was brave and intelligent. He wanted a woman who was fiery and passionate and loved him completely. He knew Julianne did not love him. Rather, she was after his title and his money. As he did not like her or even love her, William respected the woman. She was strong and smart and a good business woman. He just could not see himself marrying her anymore; not with the girl laying in his bed upstairs.

Dash it all! he thought icily. He had to get that girl away from him until it was too late.

William strode into his study and poured himself a drink. It would not help his headache, but he felt the need for one. His servant Jeffrey walked into the study and bowed before asking, "Is there anyone i can get you Sir?" William swallowed his drink and nodded, "Fetch the doctor, the woman has not gotten any better." Jeffrey nodded and disappeared out the study door.

Sitting at his desk, William placed his head in his heads. He needed sleep, and he needed it now. He got up slowly and asked a young girl walking by to fetch Greta. She nodded quickly and scampered off, too happy to be away from his presence.

Greta walked in, and William frowned at her. "Yeh called me my lord."

"Yes, I am tired, I wish to sleep in my own bed tonight. Move the girl to the spare room in the second hall. The doctor is on his way and he will tend to her."

Greta nodded and wrung the rag in her hands, "I cannot move the girl on my own."

William rolled his eyes and looked at the woman pointedly, "Ask someone for help."

She shook her head, "Would not do Sir, other men being in her chambers."

Williams's jaw worked for a minute then he answered, "Fine, I will assist you, we must make haste, for I have business to attend. "

Both walked up the stairs and entered William's rooms. The girl lay sleeping in her bed, her face white as a ghost. She lay still now, and her hands were fisted in the sheets.

"My god, is she dead?" William asked.

Greta hurried to the girl and felt her pulse, "Nay, her pulse beats, but weakly my lord, the doctor must hurry."

William nodded and stood by the bed. Greta hurried around, grabbing her ointments and creams and tonics, and motioned for William to get the girl. He looked down at the small woman laying in his bed and frowned. She was so small and frail, he believed even touching her the slightest bit would hurt her. He gently put his arms under her knees and back, and lifted her into his chest. She was light as a feather, and he believed he could feel her bones sticking out in her shoulders and ribs.