Chapter 3 (2/2)

William paused; his hand frozen on Genevieve's cheek. They both stared in shock at one another, and William removed his hand, almost as if he had been burned. Genevieve swallowed and William got a cold look in his eyes, secretly cursing himself for showing weakness. He stood hurriedly to his feet, and hollered for Martha. She rushed in and he pointed at Genevieve. "Take care of that," he said rather rudely before he left the room in a foul disposition. Genevieve sat silently, her cheek still burning from his touch.

"Don’t worry, he's always like that," Edward said with a wink.

Genevieve sat still, her ankle bothering her a great deal, and could only half smile.

"Well, ever since Maria, oh wait, did I say that? Never mind me!"

Genevieve sat up straighter, wincing in the process. "Who's Maria?" she asked curiously.

"I say, what is that wonderful smell!" Edward got up, and turned to leave the room

"If you really want to know, you'll have to ask Lord Blackburn," he said with a small smile.

Genevieve scowled at him and crossed her arms over her chest. He walked out with a laugh as Martha came scurrying in with a warm cloth and Joseph, her son, who was also the stable boy.

Joseph blushed furiously and looked at Martha for help. She turned to Genevieve and frowned.

"We need to move you dear, it won't do to have you sitting in the drawing room all day.""

Genevieve nodded and allowed Joseph and Martha to help her off of the couch and into a standing position. They led her slowly out of the room, Genevieve wincing the whole way.

"Allow me," a deep voice spoke with authority.

Genevieve looked down and squeaked as she was pulled into a pair of strong arms and cradled against the hard chest of Lord Blackburn.

"Leave us."

Martha and Joseph nodded and scurried off toward the kitchen.

Lord Blackburn carried Genevieve up the stairs and down the corridor. She felt herself slowly relax and he tightened his hold on her. When they reached her room,  he shifted her tiny frame to one arm and she protested loudly. "Sir! This is not necessary!"

He growled and glared at her, making her snap her mouth shut and allow him to open the door. He walked over to her bed and deposited her there.

He glanced over her and sneered in disdain.

"Hmm, I suppose we will need to travel into town and pay Madame Charvet  a visit. You look like a ragamuffin off the streets!"

Genevieve raised an eyebrow. "Begging your pardon my lord, tis what I am."

He nodded, "Believe me, I know. What I am saying is that no ward living under my roof will dress like this! Starting Monday, you will also begin etiquette and I shall bring in a tutor for you."

Genevieve shook her head in disbelief. "But Sir, I am to return to the streets! He needs me! I cannot stay! Especially when it is you who does not want me here!" her chest heaved at the anger she felt, and Williams face darkened as he processed her words.

"You will stay as long as I tell you to stay! Do you not accept my kind charity! You are but a child, and it would be wrong of me to turn you out into those filthy streets, especially with winter approaching you foolish girl!" he roared into her face.

Her mind whirred and her face lost its expression. "Is that what you think of; a child? I will not listen to you! I would rather die alone than stay here where I am not wanted!" she rose angrily and jabbed a finger into his chest.  His eyebrows raised at her.