Chapter 10

Screaming. Yelling. Crashing.

Genevieve bolted up in her bed and listened to the noises coming from downstairs. She leapt out of her bed and pulled on her dressing gown in a hurry, almost missing one arm.

She heard another scream and grabbed the nearest thing from her dressing table to use as a weapon. It just happened to be a candle stick.

She opened the door and peered around the corner. It was complete chaos. Servants were running everywhere, things were laying all on the floor, vases lay in pieces, furniture had been overturned, and dirty men were chasing after he servants with swords drawn. Genevieve pulled back into her room and took a deep breath, before running out of the door, and attacking the first man she saw with her candle stick. He was surpised, but soon fought back viciously. He swung at Genevieve with his sword, but she ducked and hit him in the knee with her weapon. He howled in pain and began to favor that leg. She used this against him as they circled each other. She watched the man, and made her move. She took a running leap and pushed off of the overturned settee in the corner. Jumping in the air, she spun and kicked the man hard in the face, before landing in a crouch in front of his crumpled form. She checked him, making sure he was unconscious before she took his sword and placed her candlestick in his hand.

"Thank you sir for the weapon," she said as she mock bowed and ran off to the next man.

The next was a little bit smaller and awkward with a sword. She took him down with no problem, and moved to the next and the next, and the next, until she stood in the middle of the room, her chest heaving. The men's bodies surrounded her.

Genevieve turned and saw Lord Blackburn and the servants staring at her, their eyes wide.

"Who the hell are you?" Lord Blackburn asked in shock.

*****************************

****************

A few hours after the fight, and Genevieve was sitting in Lord Blackburn's study. After everyone had finished gawking at her, she had been herded into the study and the doors had been shut firmly.

Lord Blackburn poured them drinks and turned to face her. He downed his brandy, then folded his hands on the desk and stared at her.

"So, I assume that you are not all that you say you are, am I correct?"

Genevieve bit her lip, "No, my lord."

He nodded.

"Then tell me everything."

She began with her mothers death.

"When I was 10, my mother died. I was sitting by her as she died, when a group of men came in and took me from her. They kept me for 2 years, and I was to work to repay her debt. I was, initially, their slave. But, I kept hearing them call me by a different name. They started calling me Elizabeth. I know no one by the name. When I was 12, I escaped from the men. That didn't stop them from coming after me, however. I ran for another year, hiding and living on the streets until another man found me. His name was James."

Lord Blackburn's hands clenched and Genevieve went on.

"James took me in and took care of me, until one day he asked me to marry him. I did not love him. I ran again. He followed me, and one night he found me. He drugged me, and tried to rape me. I got away, once again. Since then, I have been living on the streets, with skills and education that I know not where I learned them. I cannot remember anything from before my mother died."

Lord Blackburn pursed his lips and his forehead crinkled in thought.

"Well, I have connections. We shall try to uncover your identity and where you are from. But promise me this, you will no longer fight. Let the others do it for you."

Genevieve rolled her eyes but nodded.

"I am dismissed?"

"Yes, you may go, have a good day Genevieve."

She left in a whirl of dressing gown, and shut the door behind her.

William sat at his desk and stared at the wall in frustration.

He had his suspicions on who this girl was, and if he was correct, he was in a world of trouble.