Chapter 4

William stepped into the townhouse and handed his coat to the butler who received him at the door.

"My lady awaits you in the library," he said mechanically, and William knew where he would find Georgina. His thoughts flickered to Julianne, his betrothed, and then to the angel asleep in his bed. They didn’t need to know of his visits to Georgina. They both did not love each other, but they were mutual in their need, and William liked the woman because she expected nothing from him.

He opened the door to the library and shut it behind him. He turned to find Georgina seated on a gold embroidered settee reading a book. He smirked; knowing she was not actually reading. She set the book down and gave him a flirty grin.

"Long time my lord," she said coyly. He nodded and moved the sit on the couch opposite her.

"Indeed."

She got up from the settee and paced the floor. He admired the brilliant red hair and curvy figure. she turned and bestowed him with a sad smile. "The last time you saw me was when you were with Maria, which leads me to believe there are new troubles with women. Tell me, which one is it?"

He shrugged his broad shoulders and she pouted. "Come now. We used to have no secrets between us, you know that!"

His face changed and he held up a hand. "Georgina. You and I both know why I am here, and I do not wish to spend my time talking of unimportant matters."

She sighed and put her face in a mask of indifference. "I suppose my lord."

He stood up from the couch, his thoughts of Genevieve slipping away for the first time in days. He took two strides across the floor and pulled Georgina into his arms. She giggled, but his face held no emotion as he stroked her cheek then pushed his lips against hers roughly. He pushed the thoughts from his mind and tried to enjoy the kiss, but all he saw the face of a certain chestnut haired beauty.

*************************************

Genevieve awoke to the sound of clattering downstairs. She yawned and stretched, most of the pain in her ankle gone. She paused when she realized where she was. The dark curtains and drapes of the bed looked familiar and she groaned. She had slept in Lord Blackburn's bed. She got up quickly and tried the knob of the door, finding that it opened. She sighed in relief and made her way down the hall, pausing to smooth her dress and run a hand over her hair. Making her way downstairs, she wandered through the large estate looking for the kitchen. Suddenly, a woman's voice stopped her.

"You girl, who are you?"

Genevieve turned and saw a regal woman dressed in a dark purple gown with silver hair piled on her head. The woman's face was lined with wrinkles, but Genevieve could tell that she had once been very beautiful.

Genevieve curtsied quickly and rather awkwardly, having never done it before. The woman cracked a smile, and put her hand forward.

"I am just kidding my dear; half the ton has heard of your being here. Quite scandalous, really. However, my son does not really consider these things."

Genevieve's eyes widened at the woman's words. This was Lord Blackburn's mother. Duchess Camilla of Kent. The woman looked over Genevieve appraisingly before shifting her expression. "My but you are tiny! Beautiful face though, yes, I can already see with some altering that you will be a wonderful lady!"

Genevieve stuttered, and the Duchess wagged a hand at her scolding. "Now shut your mouth dear, before you catch flies!" Genevieve giggled, but shut her mouth and took the lady's offered arm.