Chapter 3 Part 1

Genevieve wandered through the giant estate one afternoon a few weeks later. The master of the house had left on business and wasn't expected to be home until this Saturday, when a ball for his birthday had been planned. This year he was turning twenty-eight. Genevieve had not spoken to him since that day in the dining room, and she been thinking about him ever since.

She wondered what about her offended him so, especially when at times he had seemed at ease with her, and then the next second he was cold and kept to himself. She shook her head; the man really was a mystery. She could not deny that he had been kind to her, however. He had taken her in when she was ill, and clothed her and fed her, and although his personal feelings toward her were cold and collected, she felt a surge of gratitude. She was glad she wasn't back out on the streets.

Genevieve had now wandered into a large garden, and she sat on a stone bench, taking in the flowers around her. The garden was beautiful and well kept and she sniffed in the roses, sighing in contentment. There weren't many beautiful things in her life, and she appreciated all the ones that came along.

Every day after this, Genevieve would wander into the rose garden and sit with a book and watch the sunset. One Thursday night, the Thursday before the ball, Genevieve was sitting in the garden eating an apple and reading a book, when there was a commotion. She leapt to her feet peered around the corner of the stone wall surrounding the secluded spot. A man in dirty clothing was arguing with Martha the maid, and he looked rather angry.

She put her back to the wall and listened to their conversation.

"Where is she!"

"Sir I do not know whom you are referring to!"

He scoffed. "I know she's here! Take me to her or so help me god I'll shoot your brains right out of your thick skull."

Genevieve heard the click of a gun, and she gulped. She took a deep breath and leapt around the corner at the man, a small fury, scratching and kicking and biting. Martha backed away, her eyes wide. Her young miss was attacking the man with blind rage and she only paused when the man howled in pain and slumped to his knees.

Genevieve held his arm behind his back, a comical sight, since he was a good 3 times her size, and growled into his ear, "Go away James. I will never marry you. I don't even know how you found me, but I swear to god, if you harm any of my family or anybody about me, I will find you and I will kill you."

The man whimpered and the small woman hit him over the head with the gun he had been holding to Martha's temple. He crumpled to the floor and Genevieve stood up, her dress torn in almost improper places and her hair blew wildly around her face. She blushed when she saw Martha looking at her.

"Uhh, you see, James was my betrothed until he started beating me. One night, the night your master found me, he had beaten me and I hit him over the head with a fire poke and ran away."

Martha nodded, her eyes still wide and Genevieve was glad that is was just the two of them.

"Well, well, well. Wasn't that something!" a voice drawled.

Genevieve turned around and saw a tall, lanky man walking toward them, a hand in his pocket and a cigar in his mouth. He took the cigar out and smiled at her, his eyes a dark dark brown.

Genevieve couldnt help but smile back. He pointed the cigar at the man, "I would assume it was a lover's spat?"

She shook her head furiously, her mood darkening. "He beat me when I was young and threatened to kill my family unless I married him. One day, I had enough and I left him. I guess what you saw now was me getting my revenge."

The man nodded and gave the cigar to Martha, motioning for her to leave. She scurried off and the man leaned up against the wall lazily, "I'm Edward by the way, Lord Blackburn's comrade. I'm assuming you are Genevieve?"

She nodded and he smiled a cheeky grin, "Bit of a devil are you my dear?"

She blushed and was about to reply when a hand wrapped around her ankle, pulling her to the ground. She felt her ankle pop and a sharp pain race up her leg. James sat up, a maniacal look in his eyes, "So, you little whore, did you really think you could leave me? Hah! I own you. Dont you forget it. He stroked her cheek and she struggled, her ankle stinging in pain. Edward was standing there in shock, unsure of what to do. James stood up, still smiling. He now held the gun in his hand and cocked it and pointed it against her head. She froze her eyes going wide. Except now, she heard another gun cock, behind James' head. He turned slowly, the end of the pistol in his face. He looked down the barrel of the pistol and gulped.

Genevieve nearly cried out in relief as she saw Lord Blackburn as the holder of the pistol.

"Now. I suggest you let the woman go, sir, before I am forced to shoot you and therefore put an end to your worthless life."

James slowly released Genevieve and she was snatched by Edward, who now held James' gun in his hand.

In the blink of an eye, it was all over. James had leapt at Lord Blackburn and the gun fired. James flew back and Genevieve squeaked, forgetting her ankle and staring at the blubbering man on the floor. He as not dead, as the shot had only grazed his left arm. He lay on the ground screaming in pain and William rolled his eyes. "Get this man out of my sight! Make sure he rots in jail for the rest of his life!"

James was carried away by one of the male servants and William turned to Edward and Genevieve, who now was gritting her teeth in pain. Edward held her arm and William grabbed the other and the carried her into the house resting her on a couch.

"Why must I always  find you in dangerous circumstances?"

Genevieve could only smile half-heartedly and William looked at her in concern.

She winced and he moved to examine the ankle. "Not a break, though it is sprained."

She sighed in relief and froze as he moved a hand to stroke her cheek.