Chapter 29

"Marian is in labor!"

Those four words have Shay's face bleeding pale. For a moment, I'm terrified that she's going to faint. Her mouth opens and closes several times, but no words come out.

"Hello? Shay, did you hear me?" Kendra shouts over the line.

When Shay fails once more to find her voice, I pluck the phone from her limp hand and place it to my own ear. "Hey Kendra, it's Nikki. We heard you. What do you need from us?"

"Just get here." Kendra instructs, her contralto voice pitchy with anxiety. "The midwife is already on her way. And so are the others."

"Got it. See you soon." I confirm, and the line disconnects. Shay looks at me with wide, frantic eyes, and I reach out to give her shoulder a reassuring pat. "Let me get changed, and we'll go, ok?"

Shay just nods, mute and evidently shaken. I press a quick kiss to her cheek, and then scramble upstairs to change back into some street clothes. Upon my return, Shay is still white as a ghost, and looking more harrowed by the second. I watch her pick up and drop her car keys twice before I gently pry them out of her quaking fingers.

"How about I drive?" I offer with a small smile.

"Would you?" Shay whimpers. "I'm sorry Rabbit, I'm just, I-, if anything happens to Marian-"

"Marian will be fine. She's healthy, and so are the babies. There's no reason to panic right now. So let's just go, and be supportive, ok?"

Shay whimpers again, and the sound is fragile and frightened. My heart breaks for her, and I draw her into a hug, stroking her back as she hides her face in my hair. Considering her history, Shay's fear is justified and understandable. She had lost her own mother to childbirth. Thankfully, modern healthcare has come a long way since 1786.

Grasping my lover's hand, I guide her dutifully out of the apartment and into the car. She fidgets in the passenger seat, looking stiff and uncomfortable. Her breathing is rapid and shallow, and I can feel the waves of anxiety rolling off her. Again, I take her hand, holding it as I drive. I breathe deep and slow, centering myself in an effort to transmit serene thoughts. It seems to help, and the she-wolf looks over at me with glimmering eyes, full of gratitude.

"Thank you, Rabbit." She murmurs, lacing our fingers together. "I'm so glad you're here."

I give her hand a heartening squeeze. "Don't mention it. I'm happy to be here." My face splits into a grin. "You should be more excited! You're going to be an aunt soon."

"An aunt." Shay echoes, and I feel a rush of excitement pass through her as realization finally dawns. "Holy shit. I'm going to be an aunt!" She looks at me, dumbstruck, and repeats: "Nikole, I'm going to be an aunt."

"Yes you are." I giggle. "Auntie Shay."

"Goddess, I think I'm going to be sick."

Thankfully, 'Auntie Shay' manages to hold herself together until we reach Marian and Kendra's brownstone. Tottering on wobbly legs, the she-wolf bypasses the front door, and instead leads the way into the small, gated garden behind the building. Darren is already there. His face is a stoic mask of indifference, but his frantic pacing gives away his own nervousness.

"Hey Darren, any news?" Shay asks the other beta.

"The midwife is here, and apparently everything is progressing well." The detective replies, and Shay's shoulders sag with relief. She collapses into one of several lawn chairs surrounding a small fire-pit, and motions for me to do the same.