Chapter 27

I toss and turn late into the night. My mind reels, careening from topic to topic like a car on a rain-slicked road. Everything from my capture, school, and of course my kiss with Shay. Thankfully, when I do finally manage to drift off to sleep in the early hours of the morning, I am too exhausted to dream.

Micky wakes me up some time later by gracelessly launching himself onto my chest. I let out a guttural 'oomph' as I glare into the purring face of my fat ass cat. The spoiled bastard has the nerve to chirp sweetly as he rubs his head against my cheek. A quick glance at my alarm clock reveals that I've slept well past his normal breakfast time.

With a groan, I move Micky off my chest and crawl out of bed. Skeeter is sitting in the doorway, and meows expectantly as he watches me. "Ok, ok. I know. Just give me a second." I grumble as I pull on a pair of boxers and a cozy cotton sweater. I'd slept in my bathrobe last night, too lazy to change before bed.

The twins nearly trip me as they weave themselves between my legs, following me to the kitchen where I prepare their food bowls. I do my best to quiet their excited mews, as a cursory glance to the living room reveals that Shay is still sleeping.

Lying face down on the couch, poor Shay is out cold. It's a relief to see her sleeping peacefully. If the bags under her eyes last night had been any indication, she was in desperate need of a good night's rest. Tip-toing I creep into the living room as quietly as possible. My intent is to simply grab my school bag, but I can't help but stop a moment and survey my sleeping mentor. Sometime during the night, she must have kicked off her blanket, as it now rests on the floor.

I quietly retrieve the discarded blanket and drape it gently back over the she-wolf's body. As I do, however, I notice the torn fabric of the back of Shay's tank top. It's the one I had shredded last night during our...tryst. Through the tattered fabric, I can see the feint red lines of my own claw marks.

Christ. Had I really been that out of my mind last night?

Shay lets out a soft, sleepy groan. The sound causes heat to pool between my legs, and I have to physically stop myself from slapping my own forehead. It's too early to be this horny, hovering above my sleeping friend like some love-sick creep. Moderately disgusted with myself, I grab my book-bag and sneak back into the kitchen to set up my laptop.

I'd slept through my morning classes, not that I can blame myself. Unfortunately, skipping school doesn't make my life any easier in the long run. It's hard enough to maintain my grades as is. I can't afford to make a habit out of missing class like this. Even with everything going on, I refuse to sacrifice my education, my future. I had worked too hard to make it to this point, and I'd never forgive myself if I gave up.

Mind-numbing as it is, the monotony of studying provides my frazzled nerves with a much-needed reprieve. For a few hours, I'm able to lose myself in a world of textbooks and recorded lectures. I simply don't have the brain power to focus on school and worry about werewolf drama at the same time.

Eventually I take a break to make some coffee. Yawning, I grab my favorite mug and wait for it to finish brewing. The warm, rich scent fills my tiny kitchen with its heavenly aroma, and I breathe deeply, basking in it. Apparently, the seductive scent of caffeine is enough to rouse Shay from her slumber.

"Coffee?" The werewolf murmurs dreamily as she sits up from her little nest on the couch, still half asleep. Her short black hair is a chaotic mess, and she runs her fingers through it as she yawns and stretches. Honestly, it should be illegal for anyone to look this good the second they wake up. Even with bedhead, Shay is a vision.

I still can't believe that this Goddess had let me kiss her just a few hours ago. That she had kissed me back.

"Just a sec." I reply, thrilled that my voice comes out even as I fetch a second mug for Shay. Robotically, I prepare her coffee the way she likes it, and carry the steaming mug into the living room for her. It's a miracle that I manage not to stumble and spill it.