Chapter 28

The month of November passes by in a flurry of dropping temperatures and lingering nights. Before I know it, December dawns with the first snow fall of the season. It hardly constitutes a storm. Little more than a light dusting of white that covers the streets in the early hours of the morning, like a ghostly shroud, and melts once the sun climbs higher in the sky.

From my seat in the library, I watch the pale, pink light of the new sun slowly cresting over the horizon. My eyes are red and unfocused, and a deep weariness has settled into my very bones. The past few weeks have been grueling. Most of my time has been spent throwing myself headlong into schoolwork, tackling end of the year assignments and prepping for finals. When I wasn't studying, I was training. Honing my body with sparring matches, and midnight runs.

Perhaps most exhausting, however, was the fact that I was almost never alone. At any given time, I had at least one pack member within shouting distance. A continued precaution following my capture. On one hand, the added security was a welcome comfort. It had taken me over a month to stop looking over my shoulder and jumping at the sight of anything or anyone that resembled Lysander or his big white dog. The trauma had kicked up my normal anxiety into full blown paranoia. On the other hand, I was beginning to sorely miss my privacy.

Sitting alone as I am, sequestered in a quiet corner of the library, I bask in a pleasant illusion of solitude. However, the subtle vibration of my phone shatters the fallacy of independence. My ride is here.

Packing up my belongings, I slog my way out of the library and into the chill winter air to greet my designated chauffeur. It's Kendra today, and the striking woman greets me with critical appraisal, taking in the sight of my hollow, sunken cheeks, and wrinkled clothing. "You look like death warmed over, kid."

"Then I look exactly how I feel." I grouse. Truth be told, I'm too prostrated to be self-conscious. It is only a combination of grim determination and foolhardy stubbornness that keeps me upright when all I want to do is crawl into bed and hibernate for the rest of the winter. "God, I hate school."

Kendra flashes me a sympathetic look and shakes her head. She tosses her long, red-tipped dreadlocks over her shoulder and reaches out to grasp my text-book laden backpack, depositing it into the back seat of her car. "You're almost done with the semester. How many finals do you have left?"

"Just one. But I still have to edit my term paper." I sort of want to cry at the thought, but my bloodshot eyes are just too dry to produce tears. Besides, crying would expend energy that I simply don't have to spare.

"You'll get it done." Kendra reassures me flatly, never one to be overly emotional outside of interactions with her mate. "In the meantime, though, you need a nap and some food."

"I should really head to the writing center on campus and try to get a second opinion on my paper- "

"No." The Amazon shuts down my plans, already driving in the opposite direction of campus. "You can do that tomorrow."

"But- "

"Don't argue." Kendra growls. "I don't want to deal with the fallout of you dropping dead from exhaustion. I'd never hear the end of it from Shay."

I shut my mouth, properly cowed. At the mention of Shay, however, a small wistful sigh escapes me. I had barely seen her in the past 2 weeks. With the pack still on high alert, and preparations for the solstice underway, she had been busy with her duties as a beta. Most of our interactions had been limited to our training sessions, and scarce, fleeting kisses exchanged as we bid one another goodbye. A far-cry from the typical honeymoon period experienced by most new couples. Shay was still staying with me, but more and more often she was forced to spend nights away due to work. On those occasions, I typically stayed with Kendra and Marian. As we arrive at the beautifully restored brownstone the two of them share, I assume that tonight will be another one of those nights.