Chapter 8 - Failed Attempts At Love

Failed Attempts at Love

At breakfast the next morning Harry sat quietly while Hermione skimmed the Daily Prophet.

"Kingsley's become Prime Minister!" Hermione exclaimed.

"I thought he was only temporary," Ron said through a mouthful of pancake.

"Apparently not anymore," Hermione shrugged.

McGonagall came up the table, handing out schedules. She was in a frenzy trying to find all the people from her house since they were all sitting at whichever table they liked.

"Ah, Potter!" she handed him his paper. "There you are. And Ms. Granger, here you go. Weasley, Weasley, Weasley," she muttered as she rifled through the stack of papers. Finally she whipped out a piece of parchment in triumph, "There you are. Would either of you three mind giving Ms. Weasley hers?"

"Harry will!" Hermione said quickly.

"Thanks, Potter," she handed him Ginny's parchment. "Oh and you've been voted Quidditch captain."

"Again?" Harry said.

"Yes, you seem to be quite popular these days. I really do wonder why?" McGonagall actually smirked. "I'll get back to you," she turned to go give Neville his schedule.

"I'm not giving this to her," Harry thrust Ginny's schedule at Hermione.

"Sorry, can't," Hermione gave it back. "Full schedule. No time."

"Fine, then. Ron–she's your sister."

"Al–"

Hermione elbowed him hard in the ribs.

Ron clutched his side, "Oh–no wait. Sorry, can't. Uh, yeah, full schedule."

"I've got all the same classes as you!"

"Yeah–but you see, my brain is smaller."

"That is true," Hermione nodded as Ron looked at her with an expression that clearly said you-weren't-suppose-to-agree!

"But what's that got to do with anything?" Harry asked, annoyed.

"Can't remember things," Ron said simply. "And what would poor Ginny do without her class schedule?" Ron said, looking terrified at the thought.

Hermione smirked. Harry scowled, "Fine. I'll just pawn it off on someone else, then"

"Oh, no you wont," Hermione said bossily. "Harry you need to do this. It'll give you a chance to talk to her. She needs to be talked to! She wouldn't talk to me at all last night. She seems to be cutting herself off from the world," Hermione said desperately.

"Fine, I'll give her the bloody schedule!"

"Thank you."

Harry finished the rest of his breakfast without talking to Hermione.

"Wudd've we go' firs'?" Ron said, ham shoved in his mouth this time.

Harry looked down. "Herbology. Greenhouse Five. Meet you there, alright?"

He got up and walked the length of the table to the entrance hall.

"Harry! Harry, have you seen Ginny?" Michael Corner came running up to him just as he was about to open the door.

"No," Harry said clenching his fists.

"Okay. Hey, I was wonderin'–since you and Ginny are through would you mind if I, you know," Michael said awkwardly.